Show us your desktop!

P3cqPe4.png

yo

Got a new monitor (ASUS VG23AH) and decided to change my desktop background and color scheme.

rka495.png

We'll see how long it lasts.

I don't see how anyone can stand having the verbose icons on the taskbar in aero. It looks terrible to me, and takes up way more screen space, all while giving no information that anyone needs.

Also, new phone:
wp_ss_20130731_0001.png

samjc3 said:
I don't see how anyone can stand having the verbose icons on the taskbar in aero. It looks terrible to me, and takes up way more screen space, all while giving no information that anyone needs.

Also, new phone:
wp_ss_20130731_0001.png

It looks better to me, slightly, and it does give me information I need. I get this:

209g47s.png

Versus this:

2ef0rv5.png

Verbose icons means that I can see exactly what I have open and select exactly what I want directly from the taskbar, with no menus in between. Admittedly it's only slightly faster, but it's what I'm used to, and with a 24" widescreen 1080p monitor I'm not exactly short on space, especially since I hide most of my systray icons (yes, there are more). In fact, I actually find it slightly more convenient to have everything spread across the width of my monitor rather than squished up against one side. There's a third option too, but it looks even worse on a large monitor.

I guess I'm just entirely too minimalistic for that. *Can'tSayThisOnTV* information. Besides, 1080p is not nearly adequate. I've got 2960p width to play with for my taskbar, and I am soon switching my 1680x1050 monitor out for a 1920x1200, and adding a 2560x1440 panel and a 42" 1080p tv, all in the pursuit of more space. (Total width should then be 7680px) All so I can do nothing more efficiently.

I hate the large taskbar in Windows 7, so I use the small version. Text is useful for me because I have multiple windows of things open, and it's easier for me then hovering over to switch windows than when everything is stacked.

3YHCC.jpg

Zero said:
Text is useful for me because I have multiple windows of things open, and it's easier for me then hovering over to switch windows than when everything is stacked.
This was true for me when I dabbled with Windows 8.

Efficiency is for suckers. The text is ugly. Course I rarely do anything where it would be useful to me, so it's easier for me to dislike it.

New secondary monitor 21.5" 1080p Asus panel of some sort. Nice upgrade from the 19" ancient samsung I was running. Figured it'd be a good time for new walls as well.
ulbzqgusd4vfvfa6g.jpg

Still two more monitors to add till I am content, though.

Tbh, it's mostly the huge task bar that bothers me in W7+ rather than the stacking. I hate giving up screen space.

Zero said:
Tbh, it's mostly the huge task bar that bothers me in W7+ rather than the stacking. I hate giving up screen space.
I've never played with the icon sizes for the taskbar. But at first glance it seems like it could be nice, but many of the icons default to a really really small one, like what should be used in an explorer list, as opposed to the medium size they should be. Seems like I could get used to this, in any case.

I've become quite fond of the smaller taskbar, it's a good compromise between normal and autohide.

I tried using small icons, but I found them too small to see. I auto-hide my taskbar anyway, which is horrible in some ways but I couldn't get used to having it up all the time and it cause issues with some poorly coded applications.

God I hate it when those applications start under the top of the taskbar, so you have to enable autohide to then move the window. *Can'tSayThisOnTV*.

But up top is best taskbar location so I'll live with it.

I don't think I could stand having my taskbar anywhere but the bottom. Are there any tangible advantages or is it just a preference thing?

I use the mouse in a more lax fashion(wrist on pad fingers arch on top) to allow the middle finger to fit comfortably with the rest of the hand, to use the middle click for managing tabs and the taskbar and whatnot. So it's more natural both mechanically to move the wrist forward and extend the fingers(up), than to curl both back(down), as well as have all of my multitasking information at an upward gaze(tabs on top in Firefox, taskbar, etc). Not 100% whether it makes more sense neurologically(ie eyes naturally moving to the areas of the brain being utilized).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWCBPt54rwE

*Can'tSayThisOnTV* me this theme is cute. These are the win8 mascots in japan apparently.

j2YnXi3Rlruw5.png

Microsoft's marketing teams in the more asian bits of the world severely outclass the united states ones. There's a reasonable pile of official characters for various Microsoft products. Madobe Nanami for win 7, Yuu and Ai Madobe for win8, Aizawa Hikaru (and her 3 sisters too) for Silverlight, Claudia Madobe for Azure, Nana, Nanae, (another) Nanami, Nanako and Nanao for Bing, and probably a couple others.

It's really refreshing to see something cute going on in an official business capacity, for example, this.

Well, except for the Xbox. I don't think even the world's best marketing can help the Xbox in Japan.

Back