Random electric car design

ttsgeb

Breaker of Everything
Staff member
This isn't in the projects section because I'm not actively working toward building it, nor do I know if I will be able to.

The idea is that it's an electric vehicle, designed to be as light and aerodynamic as possible while maintaining decent appearance. I designed it in December, and just got around to scanning it.

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/7681/carvd.jpg

I would like critiques, suggestions, etc on the visual design.

Technical(not very developed) It would run off of a Warp 9 electric motor, with a 30ish kWh battery pack. I don't know about controllers yet. The body would be primarily built of fiberglass/carbonfiber, and the frame would either be steel, or carbon fiber.
In it's current state, it's VERY small, coming in towering at 2' tall, 4' wide, and 8' long. This will likely be scaled up by 150%.

So, I want your opinions on the design, any information you have into the world of how it runs, things like controllers and the all important brakes. If I ever decide I have the money to do this (around $60k) I will post a worklog, but uh, $60k is a good chunk of money.

EDIT: YES I am fully aware of how complicated building your car is, I know what I would be getting into, don't be a hater.

While your enthusiasm is admirable, your design isn't very good. It would probably be more aerodynamic going backward (literally). If you want to see some aerodynamic cars, look at the ones that participated in the Progressive Automotive X-Prize competition and Ecomodder (specifically the extreme projects like the Aerocivic). You want a teardrop shape for max efficiency, where your drawing looks like it is the opposite. Also, the reconnecting of the airflow at the rear makes a lot more of a difference than how the front looks. I saw something that said adding a half circle to the front of a brick increases it's aerodynamics by 10%, while adding a tail increased it by 60% (something like that, I can't remember the real numbers or find the source).

As I said, I freely admit to knowing next to nothing about aerodynamics, however I'm also looking to have something that looks nice, and is ultimately resalable on a basis other than "look, good mpg"

I also plan on housing the batteries and motor in the rear of the vehicle due to it's decidedly small size. This means the the rear end will need to be larger. This car is not intended to do much traveling faster than around 55mph(would you take a glorified $60k go cart on the interstate) And I'm not going for super low cd, but just decent: after a certain point, looks are more important than mileage. Most of the range of this is going to be attributed to it's small size, and a target weight of under 1500ilb.

I DO appreciate your response, however. And I will look at ways to change the design in the way you stated while still maintaining the look I am trying here for. I am more interested in help with making it look the best it can while still being at least mildly viable.

ALSO 2-3ft tall mean I need A LOT of space up front for foot room, and true teardrop would not safely or comfortably allow that.

What exactly is your goal? One person commuter with 50 mile range, 2 seater with room for groceries? I think two wheels would probably be better (like this).

two seater with 50+ mile range, and non-crap appearance for ability to resale/sell kits

It's electric because there are fewer moving parts, and it's easier to upgrade, among various other reasons. Not because I'm ecoperfection freak.

Well, you definitely don't need as big of battery pack as you planned. The Nissan Leaf has a 24kwh battery pack and it's range is around 100 miles a charge, and it's a tank compared to what you want. You could probably drag a boat anchor and still get 50 miles of range with your original design.
I would just do something like the motorcycle I linked to in my last post. There will be less frontal area with the seats in tandem, which helps aerodynamics without having to lay on the ground like a side-by-side. Plus, custom motorcycles are usually a ton easier to register than 4+ wheel vehicles.

Longer than 50 mile range is no problem... of course, cutting down on the batteries is also the best way to drop the price, especially since I intended to use lithium. I've basically just been trying to avoid thinking about the Heck that registration would be, if I decide it would be to much, I could go for my backup plan (that's probably better and more likely) of building off of a VW bug frame. From what I understand, using an established vehicle frame makes it significantly easier to register.

200 miles would be amazing, but I'm not actively trying for it. The math for the batteries was worked out when I was still planning on converting a pickup truck.

Also, the Nissan Leaf had a team of Professional Engineers working on it. I have... me... maybe my brother, and vaguely the people here and a hella lot smaller of a budget.

It looks like it was designed as a full-sized vehicle. Small vehicles are designed differently, probably for the reasons vskid mentioned. That being said, a mini car that looks like a full-sized one would be cute. I like four wheels.

I don't know much about this topic, so I'll shut up now and wish you good luck should you go through with it.

So, I did some size comparisons, and while yes, the 8' long version COULD fit in the bed of my silverado for long trips, it's just to hilariously small.

porchecomparison.jpg

At 8', it could almost fit within the wheelbase (it's less than 15 cm off) of an other car, at 12', it has a similar wheelbase.
although... the idea of my car being easier to get into the house than my couch still appeals to me.

also, it seems there's no better way to make yourself feel flaxty about your lineart than to put it next to lineart of various high end cars...

Back