Probably a quick fix...

BlueLink77

Here's the deal, my friend gave me her DS Lite for me to repair. When turning on the top screen flashes and the bottom stays black. After the quick flash, the power LED goes out and that's about it.

I took it apart, tried just touching the contacts of the fuses to see if it would boot up, no dice. My multimeter says that the fuses are good as well, so that rules out that.

Could the bottom screen be bad? Any tips on where to go with this?

On a side note when unplugging and replugging the contacts for the touch screen, the female end of the touch ribbon (the one on the back of the board) I pryed the cover of it off so that the black plastic came flying off, and I have no idea where it is. Anybody have a broken board that they want to sell me this cover part or any ideas on how to quick fix it (like super glue)?

So is the touch cable fully in?

A DS Lite will do exactly what you are saying it is doing if ANY of the parts are not connected, or have a loose connection.

I know for a fact that the digitizer cable doesn't matter when booting, I have tried it with my DS.

I have also tried my screen which is known to work. I have put the cable all the way in and made sure that the connections were good. I will probably try again just to be sure though.

Thanks for the help!

That is odd, I know for sure that my N64 DS would not work when the touchscreen was unplugged...

Yeah I'm working with a DS Lite, so I don't know how much Nintendo changed in this aspect, and second I'm saying that I can boot with the main ribbon cable that gives the video, but the second one just sends the X Y coordinates of the touchscreen, and the DS Lite can boot without that. I haven't really been in the DS Phat much so I don't even know if there are two second cables for the touch screen :p

And you're the one that made that N64 DS mod a while back? I remember the whole media coverage on that thing. 'Twas awesome. :)

Yeah, that was me! :D Pretty much the only thing I have ever modded that ever went to completion, and look where I am now. :p

Back