portable N64

I'm sorry I can't be arsed to go look it up, but I seem to recall Bac using an N64 slot and cartridges. Same basic idea as Machjas has.

Since we're both working on this , I advise we use a low battery indicator. If you look on the GMS (Generic Modding Skills) forum, there is an awesome diagram of one perfect for the N64P.

Tibia said:
I'm sorry I can't be arsed to go look it up, but I seem to recall Bac using an N64 slot and cartridges. Same basic idea as Machjas has.

I still think some DSUB ports of some kind would work well. I believe a DVI port would suffice for everything necessary.

I never said they wouldn't. lol After all, the Coleco, Atari, Intellivision, and Genesis all used them. A DVI port ought to work just fine. I'd honestly recommend deciding on your control scheme FIRST, though. Then, you know exactly how many lines you need to connect the two pieces.

?????????????????? ok, this probably proves im a mega NEWB, what the hec is a DSUB or an ISA :confused: ??? and would a cheap 30 pin din connector work just as well? im all so thinking about replacing my N64's controller ports with head phone jacks to save room and the PS2's controller ports with Ethernet ports, now, should i have them in the motherboard of the game console or the actual multi system?? and should i have a memory card already wired into the PS2 along with a ps1 memory card? and should i have a single set of wires to supply power to the systems and have a different set of regulators and what not or should i use a couple IC chips to automatically select the required power the right pins by read the signal from a IC chip on the console itself, that way any thing with the right preprogrammed chip can run off of it?? :confused:

Bac's method, and honestly, the most feasible way to keep it small, was to have all the buttons and joysticks on the main unit. One trace or pin on the connector for each button.The controller mobo was in with the console mobo. He also tied the batteries and power in the multi-unit. I don't remember exactly how he did it for the various consoles, but in theory, a single voltage coming out of the main unit would work, as long as you just put whatever regulators the console needs into the console pack. I really don't have any idea what you're saying with your talk of ICs and chips.

For what I'm describing, say you have 9V coming out of the multi unit into the console pack. Run it through a 5V regulator to power an NES. Run it through a 7.2V regulator to power a PS. Use a voltage converter to knock it up to 12V, if you need that.

I'll put that full diagram you wanted up in a few hours. I do need to know what systems you are using; I believe it was N64, PS2, and Dreamcast?

So you guys were talking about Bacteria's multi-portable? Well first off, it's huge. Second, it only has an N64 section. He never made any other parts for it. For the connectors he just used N64 cartridge slots and cartridge pins. IMO, that thing is a piece of crap and a waste of time and money.

Nothing's a waste of money for bac! Remember, "it takes a good modder with lots of free time and loads of 'disposable income' like me to make all these new portables no one's made before!"

i envy you snowpenguin, you have money, or are you talking about bac? and as for the IC chips, its not two objects, (hoping you were being sarcastic) its one object. and i just want the IC chip to regulate voltage for different consoles by reading an IC chip i'd have to plant on the console somehow to send the right voltage and amperage, removing the need for many different regulators, for all the different consoles. Now, as for coding of the signal the consoles IC chip would send, im HOPING, god im hoping, that i'll be able to have it programed in C, since my dad at one point was a C jockey. :mrgreen: lucky me to have such a great dad, and ive made some progress to, i finally opened my stubborn N64 with a gamebit screwdriver my dad made (he still wont let me touch the power tools since if i were to get hurt using his power tools, my mom would kill him.)

edit: hey snowpenguin, what happened to your karma, its like -105, what on earth did you say?!?! :eek: :o :confused:

Yes, that thing was huge and ugly, but the man did have some clever tricks with it. I was watching that project with interest, and I'll admit, I've swiped a few tricks from it.

And again with the IC chips. "You keep using that word. I do not think they do what you think they do." Misquoting Inigo Montoya FTW! Seriously, why the **** would you mess with programing something when you can just pick up a voltage regulator and it does exactly what you want it to do without any programing? Trust me when I say forget about IC chips for regulating voltage, that is exactly why they make these incredible little components called voltage regulators.

hey, does anyone use google sketch up, cuz thats what ive been using to plan out the construction of my portable multi system, which by the way will use internal card slots to hold the console boards. i should have some pics in a few minutes.

DSCN1383.jpg

Here's that diagram you wanted. The horizontal line represents whatever port you are going to use, and below that, each system that will be connected. You will need AT LEAST one pin for each wire, plus several grounds.
untitled-1.jpg

what console is that for? is it some sort of cross between an N64 and game cube controller? i really need wiring diagrams for the internals of the Dreamcast and gamecube and PSone/PS2 consoles not their controllers, thanks for the diagram anyway, looks to me like a great universal controller. :)

Have you checked the appropriate megastickies? There are all kinds of diagrams that have been checked and referred to many many times, they're tried and true.

Also, Bush's diagram looks like an attempt at a multi-console controller. The only thing I really get out of that is that he's saying splice the buttons to use them in different consoles...

gamefreak13 said:
what console is that for? is it some sort of cross between an N64 and game cube controller? i really need wiring diagrams for the internals of the Dreamcast and gamecube and PSone/PS2 consoles not their controllers, thanks for the diagram anyway, looks to me like a great universal controller. :)
The diagram is to show what kind of controller you will need for at least the N64,PS2, and Dreamcast. Connecting the wires to their respective controllers is a matter of opening a controller and connecting it to the button contacts.

Back