Playing and charging with smart chargers?

bentomo

Frequent Poster
So I've been thinking does playing while a smart charger is working really work?

I've heard some people say that they weren't designed that way, and when I used the 64 boy while it was charging the charger would get really hot.

Yeah, as far as I know, there is no smart charger meant to put out that many amps. They don't make them to put out more than is needed to charge the battery.

What you should do it put another port for a wall adapter to power the portable, and just charge it while it's running from that.

BatterySpace has 3.7V smart chargers that put out 3A and 6A. I know the 64boy and most other portables (N64, at least) run off of 7.4V, but if you had one that instead used 3.7V batteries hooked up to a step-up regulator, wouldn't it be able to play and charge from one of those chargers? I've been planning a portable myself and this could be pertinent information.

That's the thing, even though I had more amps on the charger that it was drawing is still had issues with power, I don't think they were designed to power something that's in use.

Back