Overheating Wii

Jewjo

I haven't played my Wii in over a year because it can't go more than 30 minutes without overheating. For example, I can't even get through Wily's castle in MM9 without the thing overheating and turning off. Since MM10 and BLASTER MASTER: OVERDRIVE are coming out soon, I figure that it's about time I do something to fix this problem. I'm almost relatively skilled, so I have no doubt that I have the requisite skills for the job. I just don't know how to do the job. :rolleyes:

What say you, ModdersRetro?

are you keeping it in a really enclosed environment? the wii doesn't really overheat much at all.

mako321 said:
are you keeping it in a really enclosed environment? the wii doesn't really overheat much at all.
It's on a small dresser sitting in its stand thing. It's mostly out in the open.

What's the ambient temperature like? If your room is a sauna it's going to overheat.

Also, the title is really nasty sounding.

XCVG said:
What's the ambient temperature like? If your room is a sauna it's going to overheat.

Also, the title is really nasty sounding.
I don't have a thermometer in here. The house is normally about 72 Fahrenheit. I'm pretty sure the problem is with the Wii.

And in regards to the title, I couldn't think of a better way to phrase it.

Huh, high humidity, so nothing obvious there... Any obvious dust? Unlikely, but check.

I would suggest taking it apart and either putting in some new thermal pads, or some proper thermal grease between the heatsinks and the CPU.

So, I opened it up and it wasn't dusty or anything. I did find out that the loud sound it emits is from the DD and not the fan, as I thought it was.

Back