NOAC

N00BModdr

What is NOAC? Please don't tell me it's Nes on a chip, I already know that. But I can't seem to find information on it anywhere. Is it hardware or software?

NOAC is a term applied to numerous "Clones" of the NES.

The schematics for the NES were leaked ages ago.
After the patents for the NES expired (well, before actually), a handful of companies started to clone the NES.

Nowadays, these clones have become extremely small, to the point where some consist of, almost literally, a single glop-top chip.

They're (illegal) NES clones, and we all know and love 'em.

Yes, 100%.

It's infringement on numerous Nintendo related things 'n' whatnot.
Silly legal nonsense.

Regardless, they're readily available all over the world, and have been for ages.

Heck you can even pick them up in small Video Game shops, or even (few) larger chains. (Play 'n' Trade, for instance, actually has Play 'n' Trade branded Retro Duo's, among other things)

MANY have games built-in.

About the most common used in portables is the Power Player Super Joy III or Super Fun Mecha Joy-Joy Stick Fun or some random name like that.
This thingamahoozit.

Here's why:

NM_pic_2.jpg

Yeah, that's the cut-down and good-to-go board there.
These things are TINY.

I might buy that, but there doesn't look like there's any place for a controller or composite out.

N00BModdr said:
I might buy that, but there doesn't look like there's any place for a controller or composite out.

There are :wtf:

It just so happens that when Ben strips down a console to make it a portable, he removes all that junk.
It does take up a lot of extra room ya know.

jleemero said:
N00BModdr said:

There are :wtf:

It just so happens that when Ben strips down a console to make it a portable, he removes all that junk.
It does take up a lot of extra room ya know.
Oh. I'll buy it then. Any ideas for a good case? (for a nes portable)

jleemero said:
Yes, 100%.

It's infringement on numerous Nintendo related things 'n' whatnot.
Silly legal nonsense.

Regardless, they're readily available all over the world, and have been for ages.

Heck you can even pick them up in small Video Game shops, or even (few) larger chains. (Play 'n' Trade, for instance, actually has Play 'n' Trade branded Retro Duo's, among other things)
Wikipedia said that the only illegal ones were the ones that had pirated games on it :confused:

N00BModdr said:
eurddrue said:
Wikipedia said that the only illegal ones were the ones that had pirated games on it :confused:
That would make sense...
Nope.

They're all illegal.

Now, no, they no longer violate the patents, not even for the lockout chip.

However, they're still unlicensed.

If i asked a question about a case, should i go to the trouble of making a new thread in casing and post it there? Or post it here cause it's relavent (relavant?)

Well, to be honest, cases are so...
Well, they're very documented!

Hit up the tutorials and whatnot.
You shouldn't need to make a thread about something that there's so much info about.

No. We won't hold your hand. Figure it out yourself so you can share and add to the community. If we had tutorials, we'd have a million of the same thing, and that's lame.

The NOAC's without built in games are totally legal because the hardware patents expired as the patents are over 25 years old. Means that regardless of being liscensed or not, they are still legal.

DK  said:
The NOAC's without built in games are totally legal because the hardware patents expired as the patents are over 25 years old. Means that regardless of being liscensed or not, they are still legal.
Nope.

More than just hardware Patents protect something like that.
Though that is the BIG one.

Back