new to modding, making a portable

siftyy

I am 15 and have no prior experience in electronics. I'm going to take a shot at making a gamecube portable and have a lot of questions that need to be answered, keep in mind I am on a very limited budget due to only being 15.

Questions:

I am going to use a Wiikey fusion instead of using a disk drive and haven't got a clue how to wire everything up, are there tutorials/details instructions on how to wire everything.

I want to use a 5" LCD screen/PS1 screen but do not know where do buy screens and the PS1 screen i found on amazon was $900+, are there any CHEAP LCD screens I can buy?

We have a storing iron and volt meter in my household but what else is needed to do a project like this and were is the appropriate place to do it?

Hey man welcome to Modretro Forums! There are a lot of guides to help you out building a GameCube Portable. You can find the main ones under the "mega-sticky" in this section. But, I find it better if are really new and do not know a lot about the project, talk to someone via live chat. You learn so much talking along with this forums help. If you got a Facebook or Skype add me so we can talk if you want:

http://www.facebook.com/zelda.xpro

Skype Username: zeldaxpro

If you dont use either of these what's ur preferred IM? I can help you the best I can. I am building a GCP and I'm about 95% done with board work so I can help you a lot.

Hey welcome, I'm 16 So I know how you feel , My entire cost so far is $140 with the wiikey, gamecube, screen, controllers. And a free case from polycase.com, I suggest you go there and talk to their customer support to get a Free "sample" case aswell. Just don't let them know what you are using it for ;). It's not too hard, Just alot of soldering, bondo ect. Tip from me, Use OEM nintendo controllers, I just went through my 4th, 3rd party, I'm done with them .

As for the screen many of us use a car lcd , or a portable tv. I'm Using this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001W8 ... 04_s00_i00. Sounds Like you are looking for a new psone screen though, that's never going to be cheap they are just too old , If you want a psone screen then look at used ones.

For like $20. Not sure if they have any shipping from warehouses here though.

superben51 said:
But.... Can't you get a 5" screen on ebay for less?

Not a brand new Psone...... If that's what he wants then mine is probably the cheapest he will find.

tom10122 said:
Hey welcome, I'm 16 So I know how you feel , My entire cost so far is $140 with the wiikey, gamecube, screen, controllers. And a free case from polycase.com, I suggest you go there and talk to their customer support to get a Free "sample" case aswell. Just don't let them know what you are using it for ;). It's not too hard, Just alot of soldering, bondo ect. Tip from me, Use OEM nintendo controllers, I just went through my 4th, 3rd party, I'm done with them .

As for the screen many of us use a car lcd , or a portable tv. I'm Using this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001W8 ... 04_s00_i00. Sounds Like you are looking for a new psone screen though, that's never going to be cheap they are just too old , If you want a psone screen then look at used ones.

WOW that's going to be a big help with the case what did you tell them to give you a sample?

Just buy a Zenith Screen on ebay. I got one the other day for 25$ and I'm pretty stoked about it. They're usually way cheaper than a psone screen and they have the same internals.

siftyy said:
tom10122 said:

WOW that's going to be a big help with the case what did you tell them to give you a sample?
Yeah , just told them I was looking for some samples,which ones I wanted, Name and address. That was it. They shipped them fast.

Back