Mechanical joystick mod; as close to OEM as possible.

badair

Newb
I've created a unique method for installing wii joysticks in N64 controllers that doesn't involve any electrical modifications. Everything modded is strictly mechanical. I've been working on this for a long time and I've finally settled on a design. They function and feel more like the OEM joystick than any joystick I've used thus far. Because it's mechanical, the timing and range-of-motion is identical to the OEM stick. You can see the final design in these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bygwvI0S-DU&feature=plcp (close-up video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk2n-Auee90&feature=plcp (controller being used in PD... took me awhile to pick up a gun to get crosshairs to show sensitivity)

I'm starting to sell the controllers I make now. SuPeRbOoM (winner of the Apex 2012 Smash Bros. tournament) will be receiving a slightly earlier design of one of my controllers sometime this week, and he's going to do a review. (the only difference between his controller and the updated design is that now the joystick is at OEM height, and I also added a major durability improvement). You can follow the original announcement thread here with details on how to buy: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=328083 I'm offering a 90 day return policy for breakage and a 30 day return policy for any/no reason at all (even refunding shipping), because I really think people will like them and that they will last.

I would love to make a guide at some point, because I believe in the open source spirit and I think everyone should be able to play N64 games the way they were meant to be played. It's involved enough that it's going to be difficult for anyone to do it right without screwing up a few controllers first, though. So I don't think it will cut much into my profit margin (I have a lot of my controllers at my disposal to mod and sell). It cost me at least 10 controllers to learn how to do this consistently and efficiently while still making them durable and functioning well.

I'm curious to know what you think about the design, and what improvements you would like to see.

I'll be in the Modretro chat for awhile today if you have questions or comments!

Re: Unique mechanical joystick mod; as close to OEM as possi

Sounds so much dificulty than just program a MCU to translate signals.

I also remember a Brazilian guy that made this same mod about a year ago.

Good job anyway =)

Re: Unique mechanical joystick mod; as close to OEM as possi

public-pervert said:
Sounds so much dificulty than just program a MCU to translate signals.

I also remember a Brazilian guy that made this same mod about a year ago.

Good job anyway =)

Thanks!

My original plan was to learn how to translate the pots over, but the way I see it, that would just add more steps since you have to mount the thing anyway. I bought a couple that were done that way from kylejw, and one of them still works great and I use it all the time.

I don't know, it takes less than two hours start-to-finish for me to make one stick. I'm not sure how much time it would shave much time off.

I would love to see some links to the Brazilian guy's mod!

I don't really expect to sell anything here since everyone on this forum can make pretty much anything :) I'm just looking for input.

The links to youtube are saying unavailable. I love any type of joysticks, especially custom made. I'm psyched to see this thing.

Back