I wanna buy a powerful laptop

If you get the Asus, be carful about the power jack. Mine broke so I took it to a shop for repair. Turns out someone else had dropped off the 14 inch version for the exact same repair.

^Pure truth^
I've had to replace the power jack on my roommate's Asus twice now. The fragile as *Can'tSayThisOnTV* jacks they use are way to archaic tech to be using in laptops today.
They should just switch over to using the same jacks that Dell and HP do. I've never had problems from those.

ttsgeb said:
^Pure truth^
I've had to replace the power jack on my roommate's Asus twice now. The fragile as *Can'tSayThisOnTV* jacks they use are way to archaic tech to be using in laptops today.
They should just switch over to using the same jacks that Dell and HP do. I've never had problems from those.
Huge as *Can'tSayThisOnTV* Thinkpad jacks are the best imo.

Hmm... that looks to be pretty much the same thing, except maybe a 0.5mm larger diameter.

My vaio has a thinkpad-like charger. Never had any problems.
I did modify my older Dell to have a homemade magsafe style jack though. It was pretty nice.

Update! If you are like me, you probably find all this laptop gibberish to be very boring unless you actually own a powerful laptop and/or know about laptop performance specs. So hopefully some of you still find this interesting :p

I've narrowed down my choices to 3 new laptops (the last one is more of a joke):

Alienware M17x -most review sites hail this laptop as the best gaming laptop on the market today. Its a great laptop. I think the design is pretentious, and I much prefer boring laptop designs to this one. But I've heard great things about the keyboard and it seems like a sturdy system. The 3D is an expensive add-on though. At $2200-ish, the M17x seems to be maybe $200 outside my preferred budget

Sager NP9370 -a nice boring design, just the way I like it. Depending on the customization, this Sager can be much more powerful than the M17x. It's also a bit cheaper even with the 3D add-on. It's cooling probably isn't up to par with Alienware, so I would need to add my own arctic silver to the chips. The keyboard is also inferior to Alienwares (it has ghosting from the W+E key combo). My customization options get the price down to $2000. And with a student discount maybe $1900? I'm strongly leaning towards this choice.

Sager NP9570 - probably one of the most powerful stock laptops I have ever seen (aside from the Panther or some niche company laptop)
^ The NP9570 is a pretty absurd laptop. It outperforms a lot of gaming desktops and it's super bulky, weighing around 12 pounds. I really like that it has a DVI port and the ability to upgrade in the future since it's using a desktop CPU. The 90% gamut screen is nice, but I'm not sure if its offered at 120hz. They do offer a 72% gamut screen at 120hz, however. The power consumption can exceed the power brick if you overclock this beast. And heating COULD be an issue with overclocking. It's base customization is also about 400 dollars outside of my budget :p Granted, they do offer student discounts...but still.

Of those listed, I would personally go with the NP9370. I am a fan of understated design over gaudy colours, so it wins major points over the alienware in that area. Combine that with the better price point and customization options and its just better.

As far as the NP9570 goes, true beast laptops are just too much. If I am gonna carry that weight (space cowboy), then I'd just as soon bring a true godDang desktop. They're just too much.

I think I agree entirely sam. Considering all the new laptop discoveries I've made this week. I'll probably do another week or two of research to be sure the NP9370 is the one for me, but I will be surprised If I find a better option out there.

The Leneovo Y580 Is pretty powerful, and contrary to popular belief, one can make it go up to 16 gigs of RAM. Also, It has a very powerful graphics card and a really cheap price. I'm typing on one right now.

New plan. Betaux convinced me to just get a powerful gaming desktop with handles on it.

Here is what I came up with:

http://www.tested.com/tech/pcs/454052-s ... gaming-pc/

Scroll down a third of the page, and I wanted to go with "build 2" which will cost me around 1000 - 1100 bucks.

And I believe I can always upgrade the graphics whenever. I'm pretty sure a 16gb max is okay. Don't think I'll need 32gb of ram any time soon.

Oh btw, I'm kinda in a hurry. Like I need to buy my new computer in the next few days. School starts June 18th, at which point I will have 0 time to do anything. I have a lot of video editing to do before then, and I also need to do some work with my Rift, which will hopefully arrive before then. Ship time might be an issue. Whatevs.

Yay or nay guys.

Build looks reasonable, but I would go for an Nvidia card instead - but then maybe I'm just an nvidia fangirl.

I have always wondered about the near complete lack of portable desktops in the market. They make a ton of sense, particularly the smaller ones which could fit into a backpack, say.

If anyone was curious, this is what I FINALLY ended up buying:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-i5-3570K- ... 19dc417c4e

I did the payment through paypal, so he brought the price down to $825 for me. I can always upgrade the ram, graphics, and cpu in the future when I feel like it.

Theres also a good amount of motherboards that will fit in this case, so thats always an option for the future too.

Aux and Palmer gave me some good advice last night at his place.

Interesting build. I am curious to why the seller put an unlocked chip on a motherboard that can't overclock... seems like a waste.

Back