I wanna buy a powerful laptop

Tchay

Frequent Poster
Update 1/26/13:

I've narrowed it down to

ASUS G75 Series G75VW-NS71 versus TOSHIBA Qosmio X875-Q7390

I made a thread like this a couple years ago, but I ended up just going with a mac in the end.

My macbook is great, but I need something powerful to handle programming and video editing and macky just ain't ganna cut it. I would use my macbook for entertainment and fun, but my pc/laptop for serious work.

For now, lets say my budget is 1000 for a very powerful laptop/computer. I'd much prefer a laptop in case I want to work on a video/program at my lil bro's, etc.

Now, a laptop priced around 800-1000 on black Friday should be pretty powerful yeah? Thats my thinking anyway.

Re: I wanna buy a powerful laptop/ for black friday. Need id

How big of screen do you want? Mobility doesn't sound like a priority, but there are a couple 11.6" laptops that are beasts without breaking your budget. There's this Clevo and the Alienware M11x R3 (discontinued). For 15-17" screens, I would recommend an ASUS G-series. I have a G60VX (16", C2D, GTX 260m) that's a few years old and has served me well. I've heard good things about their 17" models.

I'd second a Asus G-Series. I've got the 17inch G73JW and it's a great laptop. Not at all portable but runs every game I throw at it.

Did you read the thread/title?
Black Friday was 2 WEEKS AGO. IDK if they have that in Germany though, so whatever.
Secondly, he said he wanted something more powerful than a MacBook. MacBook air does NOT have power.

ProgMetalMan said:
Did you read the thread/title?
Black Friday was 2 WEEKS AGO. IDK if they have that in Germany though, so whatever.
Secondly, he said he wanted something more powerful than a MacBook. MacBook air does NOT have power.
except he's not really from Germany and only put that as his location because he thinks he's being clever with Hitler as his username.

I'm giving him the opportunity to make himself look as little of an ass as possible. If he's really from Germany, he still has that excuse, but still looks like an asshole.
EDIT: I'm being *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing stupid. I'ma go shut up now.

Got a nice Sager a few weeks ago for my birthday, and it runs like a true champ.

samjc3 said:
Tchay said:
lolol

while we are on the subject. This is the powerhouse laptop I plan to buy:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834230408

Any objections? They are priced reasonably on ebay.
A quality device. I love my G73, and having used the 75 at work, I can say its a *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing hot rod.

I had the G73 and now have the G74.

The best thing about it. No bottom air vents. It sucks air in through the keyboard. That way you can sit it on a pillow or bed or lap and it doesn't overheat. All laptops should do this.

hailrazer said:
samjc3 said:
Tchay said:
lolol

while we are on the subject. This is the powerhouse laptop I plan to buy:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834230408

Any objections? They are priced reasonably on ebay.
A quality device. I love my G73, and having used the 75 at work, I can say its a gingivitus-inviting hot rod.

I had the G73 and now have the G74.

The best thing about it. No bottom air vents. It sucks air in through the keyboard. That way you can sit it on a pillow or bed or lap and it doesn't overheat. All laptops should do this.
the bottom ventilation really does seem like a poor design that caught on.

I found another potential laptop to buy. LOVE IT
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834216023

all the latest and greatest.

only downside is the 16GB RAM limit, which might not be a downside....not sure.

In all honesty, what are the chances that I find myself needing more that 16GB of RAM using this beast laptop in the next 5 years? Sure, I do a lot of video editing, and some photoshopping, but would I really use up all 16GB of RAM?

comparisons:
ASUS G75 Series G75VW-NS71 versus TOSHIBA Qosmio X875-Q7390

Tchay said:
In all honesty, what are the chances that I find myself needing more that 16GB of RAM using this beast laptop in the next 5 years? Sure, I do a lot of video editing, and some photoshopping, but would I really use up all 16GB of RAM?
Pretty unlikely. I've not managed to use all sixteen on my box, short of doing it purposefully. (Ray tracing flax in 4k through LUXrender in blender for giggles) For that matter, I've never used the full twelve in the G75 we have at work, and that thing is used for running Solidworks at jobsites. Full detail models of machines 40'x20'12' don't use up that 12gb.

Additionally, that toshiba is ugly as *Can'tSayThisOnTV*.

Interesting, I thought the Asus was ugly as *Can'tSayThisOnTV*. I thought the Toshiba was real sexy!

I guess the deciding factor will be pricing and how well the keyboard and mouse operating on each device. Lots of reviews for the Asus and some are mixed regarding the casing and what not.

Can't find too many reviews on the Toshiba, though I haven't looked a ton.

I would personally never buy a Toshiba laptop, but I'm sure both would be pretty good. The Asus has a faster HDD, which would be nice. The Toshiba has Windows 8 going for it, although that's a fairly cheap upgrade to do.

Beauty is truly in the eye of the IGNOREer when it comes to gaming laptops.

For $300 more than the ASUS, the Toshiba gets you:
2x 1TB HDDs vs a 500GB
16GB of RAM vs 12GB
Bluray burner vs DVD burner
Win8 vs Win7
slightly faster CPU

Is it worth it to you? They both look like pretty good laptops.

I'll admit that my G60VX doesn't feel like the most solid laptop ever made. That said, it has served me well the 2 years I've owned it and has survived much more than just sitting at a desk during that time. I would recommend getting at least an external mouse with either of them.

The G73 is *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing huge, but it's really nice. I hate the screen on it though, it could be so much better.

vskid3 said:

2x 1TB HDDs vs a 500GB
16GB of RAM vs 12GB
Win8 vs Win7
slightly faster CPU

I'll admit that my G60VX doesn't feel like the most solid laptop ever made. That said, it has served me well the 2 years I've owned it and has survived much more than just sitting at a desk during that time. I would recommend getting at least an external mouse with either of them.

I think its worth it BUT the asus can be upgraded to 32GB whereas I am stuck with 16GB with the Toshiba. I am kinda assuming I won't use up more than 16GB in the next 5 years so I guess it won't matter?

Tchay said:
vskid3 said:

2x 1TB HDDs vs a 500GB
16GB of RAM vs 12GB
Win8 vs Win7
slightly faster CPU

I think its worth it BUT the asus can be upgraded to 32GB whereas I am stuck with 16GB with the Toshiba. I am kinda assuming I won't use up more than 16GB in the next 5 years so I guess it won't matter?
You'll probably be fine with 8, 32 is complete overkill for just about everything.

Back