How-To: Frontlight your Game Boy Color!

hey i got my cable and was wondering where this bulb was?

here is a pic of the ribbon itself..seems its glued on anyway with some sticky surface

is it the gray thing or the white thing?
the pic is too big...idk how to fix it but anyway its blurry but you can see the white or the gray thing..
which is it?
other than that i dont know which could be the bulb

also..the filter came out..and i put it back on but i noticed one side was smooth while the other was "rugged"..for the light..
does it matter which side?
-edit-
it does matter..the rugged side is pointing towards you when playing the gbc...
i also rotated it once and its way better..not blurry and no need to play by rotating the thing 180 degrees :)

but i still need to know where to put the new bulb/led or w/e it is..
i went to radioshack and all the bulbs/leds seemed to big to fit...
and it seems the light is coming from the white thing..

howd you do it bibin?

thanks
Photo033.jpg

OMFGCAPS said:
the white thing is the LED!!!
lols thx i figured it out the hard way..notice i updated the thing before you posted i think thanks anyways :)

so just to clarify..i need to know how you put a brighter bulb on..stock is wack

-edit--
like i reread all of bibins posts on here and he makes it sound so simple but idk how youd fit any type of bulb where that original light is..
wouldnt the bulb you gotta work with be suuuper small..and i cant find any at radioshack or anything like that

You find an SMT LED, it's the kind that's on there. Radioflax won't help. Then, you solder wires to it, and glue it in place so that the light points into the silver bar.

Bibin said:
You find an SMT LED, it's the kind that's on there. flux won't help. Then, you solder wires to it, and glue it in place so that the light points into the silver bar.

lols ur instructions are so vague..well to me at least..haha sry
i solder wires to the smt led but where do the wires go?

and obvious you glue it to place so it doesnt dangle..do you solder to the ribbons metal contacts?

There is no ribbon. You take a brand new, totally different LED, and solder one lead to the +V and the other to ground. If this is too complex, I'm afraid you aren't ready.

lol alright alright -_-
i 'll just assume im supposed to solder the leads of the led to the voltage and ground metal contacts that are on the ribbon of the filter cuz thats all i can think of..

thnx..

Well this will be my first post on this forum after the months of lurking and I hope this will go well :)

Hey Bibin I have a few questions that I hope you can answer. I recently followed your guide and it went smoothly. I have one small problem, the screen is terribly washed-out by the light. I noticed @ the beginning of the thread you said you used a "special film" and was wondering if you could share it?

Thanks for all your hard work and for the tutorial. You made me a very happy person for bringing my GBC back from the dead.

OMFGCAPS said:
@TheOperator

google "antireflective film"

I know, but he was saying a special kind, and was just wondering since his is so vibrant.

I actually fixed my problem without even needing to get one though. When I took the light fixture out of the GBA. I accedently pulled the diffusion panel out of the light guide. when I put it in, I put it upside down....

Turned it over and HOLY CRAP that changed the picture. Just want to say thanks again for the tutorial and the feedback.

Bibin said:
You find an SMT LED, it's the kind that's on there. flux won't help. Then, you solder wires to it, and glue it in place so that the light points into the silver bar.

so, i broke the lead in the ribbon like the tard i am, i saw this about using a new led, where would i be able to order an led small enough? or better yet where could i go to buy one? Any help would be amazing, i'm so pissed at myself for breaking the ribbon grr.

Back