guys i found a picture of the real PS4

Tchay

Frequent Poster
image of the new PS4 was leaked online it looks so cool

AfJ3uX2.png

This thread has potential. When it's not past midnight when I have a job interview in the morning, I'll see how much fun can be had.

Sadly, this is probably not far from the truth.

I'm not excited at all about the release/unveiling of either the new xbox or PS4. I think both companies could've easily waited another year or so before even announcing a new system. Where did this unwritten rule come from that we need new consoles every 6-7 years?

Well, the Wii U ushered in next gen due to previous gen falters, and the ps3 and 360 have been at their limits hardware wise for a couple years now.

Games as a medium wont push forward unless the hardware keeps up. An obvious factor is the lack of consistent full HD games on consoles, but also the simple graphical and memory inferiority compared to the PC, and current expected technologies definitely suggests a bump up in hardware.

I mean the most obvious thing is the blobby shadows, but AI and more open world/detailed environments will be a key component for some next gen games. Its all well and good saying that graphics doesn't make good games, but hardware really can advance the aesthetic and functional capabilities of the system. It will be interesting to see what studios will push with more effective hardware this time around.

Sure we can make *fun* games with current hardware, but trying new and more polished ideas is what next gen is all about!

Having said all that, I mostly just want a new flagship to sail in to that PC games aren't skimped on by shabby console ports.

Mainframe+Computers.jpg

Looking forward to getting mine! Clearing room now.

Antome said:
Well, the Wii U ushered in next gen due to previous gen falters, and the ps3 and 360 have been at their limits hardware wise for a couple years now.

Calling the Wii U next-gen is a real stretch tbh, it's barely on par with the current consoles we have already.

Well yeah, the WiiU is a flop hardware wise, however Nintendo still has the capacity to push forward on the software front. Its not like Nintendo can no longer make Nintendo games. Miiverse is supposedly good too.
But yeah, the hardware isn't much more than current gen stuff, and they're going to have to bite through another round of gamecube generation.

Unless the nextbox is equally as underpowered, in which case Sony gets a free turn.

Kickback said:
Calling the Wii U next-gen is a real stretch tbh, it's barely on par with the current consoles we have already.
That is a common misconception. The problem is that people are judging the Wii U based on current gen hardware convention. With the Xbox 360, for example, the GPU got maxed out fairly early on, so a lot of processing, such as physics, was unloaded to the CPU. As a result, developers have become accustomed to a beastly CPU being of utmost importance.

The Wii U takes a different approach and instead has a beastly GPU that demolishes the 360 while the CPU is a more modest upgrade. The CPU and GPU are built on a single die, meaning communication between the two processing units is lightning-fast. To get the most out of the Wii U, developers need to stop programming to max out the CPU, but rather take advantage of GPGPU (General Purpose computation on Graphical Processing Units) which is modern programming concept that is on the rise. As developers figure out how to offload work from the CPU onto the GPU, they'll realize they're dealing with a completely different kind of beast. The advantage of utilizing the GPU for general purpose computing is that it's got a flax-ton of cores to run in parallel. A comparison I've seen before is if you're trying to search a book for a word, a CPU will read it front to back; a GPU will tear it into a thousand pieces and read all the pieces at once. The CPU may read each individual word faster, but the parallel nature of the GPU will dominate in throughput. I expect, at the very minimum, to see physics engines moved to the GPU rather than the CPU.

graph showing the difference GPGPU can make in processing speed:
ku-medium.jpg

grossaffe said:
Kickback said:
That is a common misconception. The problem is that people are judging the Wii U based on current gen hardware convention. With the Xbox 360, for example, the GPU got maxed out fairly early on, so a lot of processing, such as physics, was unloaded to the CPU. As a result, developers have become accustomed to a beastly CPU being of utmost importance.

The Wii U takes a different approach and instead has a beastly GPU that demolishes the 360 while the CPU is a more modest upgrade. The CPU and GPU are built on a single die, meaning communication between the two processing units is lightning-fast. To get the most out of the Wii U, developers need to stop programming to max out the CPU, but rather take advantage of GPGPU (General Purpose computation on Graphical Processing Units) which is modern programming concept that is on the rise. As developers figure out how to offload work from the CPU onto the GPU, they'll realize they're dealing with a completely different kind of beast.

Whilst you have a good point, as soon as the Infinity & PS4 hit, the Wii U is gonna look pretty shocking in comparison.

It just doesn't help to introduce something totally new, and then port over 360 and PS3 games that barely look any different, but then Nintendo has a loyal as *Can'tSayThisOnTV* fan-base who will buy it anyway probably.

Kickback said:
grossaffe said:
Kickback said:

The Wii U takes a different approach and instead has a beastly GPU that demolishes the 360 while the CPU is a more modest upgrade. The CPU and GPU are built on a single die, meaning communication between the two processing units is lightning-fast. To get the most out of the Wii U, developers need to stop programming to max out the CPU, but rather take advantage of GPGPU (General Purpose computation on Graphical Processing Units) which is modern programming concept that is on the rise. As developers figure out how to offload work from the CPU onto the GPU, they'll realize they're dealing with a completely different kind of beast.

Whilst you have a good point, as soon as the Infinity & PS4 hit, the Wii U is gonna look pretty shocking in comparison.

It just doesn't help to introduce something totally new, and then port over 360 and PS3 games that barely look any different, but then Nintendo has a loyal as *PLAQUE* fan-base who will buy it anyway probably.
We'll cross the Infinity and PS4 bridges when they arrive. I don't foresee anywhere near as big a difference as there was between the Wii and the PS360.

That being said, say hello to the PS4 power supply:
47c65754-33e8-4709-b55a-d472a32b898e.jpg

Hey, don't think i'm a fanboy, all 3 consoles this generation look like they're going to suck balls tbh, it's just the Wii U has had it's share already.

Yeah the new gen of consoles look like total turds. The WiiU looks kinda sexy, in that fat girl fetish sort of way, but the other consoles just look terrible.

Does no one have a sense of aesthetic appeal anymore!?!

Wiiu is Dreamcast 2.0
Xbox is DRM babby flax
PS4 is the most promising this generation, sadly.

Re: Re: guys i found a picture of the real PS4

Mako321 said:
Wiiu is Dreamcast 2.0
Xbox is DRM babby flax
PS4 is the most promising this generation, sadly.
It's a shame that the Wii U isn't actually like a Dreamcast 2.0. Then it would actually be good.

grossaffe said:
People have grown to expect too much from a new generation of consoles.

That's actually one of the biggest problems, the One (ugh) and PS4 are basically incremental upgrades, the games will be as repetitive and meh as ever just running on Ultra as opposed to Lowest, so to make up for it they just put features in PC people have been enjoying since 2003. The new Xbox can run Skype. WHOAHHHHH.

It'll take some real good convincing to show me any of these 3 consoles are honestly worth buying right now tbh.

grossaffe said:
Kickback said:

The Wii U takes a different approach and instead has a beastly GPU that demolishes the 360 while the CPU is a more modest upgrade. The CPU and GPU are built on a single die, meaning communication between the two processing units is lightning-fast. To get the most out of the Wii U, developers need to stop programming to max out the CPU, but rather take advantage of GPGPU (General Purpose computation on Graphical Processing Units) which is modern programming concept that is on the rise. As developers figure out how to offload work from the CPU onto the GPU, they'll realize they're dealing with a completely different kind of beast. The advantage of utilizing the GPU for general purpose computing is that it's got a flax-ton of cores to run in parallel. A comparison I've seen before is if you're trying to search a book for a word, a CPU will read it front to back; a GPU will tear it into a thousand pieces and read all the pieces at once. The CPU may read each individual word faster, but the parallel nature of the GPU will dominate in throughput. I expect, at the very minimum, to see physics engines moved to the GPU rather than the CPU.

graph showing the difference GPGPU can make in processing speed:
ku-medium.jpg
Console game devs don't do actual work anymore, they just switch image files for controller prompts and recompile.
That will be especially true this generation when the other consoles are essentially computers with re-skinned OS's.

ProgMetalMan said:
Console game devs don't do actual work anymore, they just switch image files for controller prompts and recompile.
That will be especially true this generation when the other consoles are essentially computers with re-skinned OS's.

HEY! They work really hard! Somebody's gotta format that CSV of the updated NFL rosters for Madden 2014 :D

Aux said:
ProgMetalMan said:

HEY! They work really hard! Somebody's gotta format that CSV of the updated NFL rosters for Madden 2014 :D
you mean "Madden 25"?

Fun facts I just learned from the Madden NFL wikipedia page:

• John Madden is afraid of flying, so they pitched the game to him over 2 days on a train
  • The first Madden game was a slow-ass piece of flax for the Apple II
  • Bethesda wrote the physics engine, then sued EA, then EA used the engine anyway
  • EA tried to port it to the Genesis but didn't want to pay Sega, so they hacked a cart instead then essentially ransomed the intellectual property
  • Eventually EA made a PS version, then killed the Dreamcast by refusing to port it over there
  • Every version of Madden since '98 was basically the same with slightly better graphics and/or a minor new feature, giving EA billions of dollars with little effort
  • EA has owned the exclusive rights to use NFL teams in video games since 2004
  • Bill Belichick can't be in the game because he doesn't belong to the NFL Coaches Union
  • Madden '14 will instead be called Madden 25 even though there have not been 24 previous Maddens. This is instead somehow in celebration of 25 years of increasingly less innovative simulation sports gaming and dicking over other companies.

Back