GCP Modchip SD Card

JvaOneShotz

Hello peoples of the Forum. I am Working on a Portable Gamecube. Right now i am othe "Ordering Stage, where i am ordering all the Parts. Now, I want the games to load off a SD Card. Wiikey has stopped making their ModChips, so I turn to the Next best thing, and find a SunKey Fusion mod Chip which has been confirmed to work exactly like Wiikey, but heres my Question; Sun key doesnt come with that SD Card thing that Wiikey comes with, Do I need that? If, I do, where can I find one, cause Ive been loking for one everywhere!!!! Thanks in Advance. :D

Well, I would suggest first going to this website: badassconsoles.com
You can order a Wasp modchip there, which is identical to the Wiikey and comes with everything you need. That is, once it's restocked.

Thank You very Much! Im ordering it as soon as its back in stock! Also, I was planning on using a Wii U controller case for the Portable but I was also wordering if it was possible to use a Wii U controller to Make the portable if I ripped it of Components I dont need and add new ones, and use the Controls, speakers, and screen built in. Would that be Posiible?

That is certainly possible. The Wii U GamePad is wide enough and tall enough, but it's pretty thin, so that may call for a good amount of trimming and custom regulators. I think it would also be a struggle getting batteries in there, but I do not have experience actually using a GamePad for a portable.

I was also wondering if it would be easier using a dol-101 mobo rather than using a regular dol-001 mobo since it has a built in regulator. Do you think I should go for this or use the other one since ti would be more customizable? (At least thats what some people have told me)

DuHasst0 said:
That pack isn't strong enough.
Yes, you would need batteries (more than one) many times more powerful to run a GameCube.

I think using the DOL-101 vs. the DOL-001 depends on your casing. You can trim the DOL-001 down more and use custom regulators, which is a lot of work but fits into a tiny space. You can't trim the DOL-101 down as much if you keep the regulator on it, and that regulator won't work below a certain voltage (10v, I believe), which can be inconvenient for batteries. So while the DOL-101 is easier, it takes up more space overall.

JvaOneShotz said:
I thought that the battery might be a problem. I was thinking of using a AT: Li-Ion 18650 14.8V 7800mAh Battery Pack with PCB (DGR-A) from http://www.all-battery.com/Li-Ion18650-148V6000mAhBatteryPackwithPCB.aspx instead and use that for something else... do I have to use Li-ion or can I use Nihm? cause li-ion arent cheap...

You can but getting that Ah and voltage with Nihm would require more batteries. Adding that price totale will probably not save you that much I think

You will need to trim the mobo down a good bit to get it to fit in that case, it will not fit uncut. I'm using it now for mine. And unless you plan on using that pack as an external pack, it will not fit inside that case either. And as someone mentioned, the battery that comes with a the Wii U pad isn't near big enough to power it.

I would also recommend not trying to get a new/used/broken gamepad, unless you can get it for next to nothing, just to get buttons for it. You should be able to get a gamepad shell and buttons/triggers off ebay for cheaper than you can find a broken gamepad. In my searches I've always seen them go for more than $75, and I know you can get the bare bones shell for like $12 and the button sets for $4-5 for a set of face buttons, $2-3 for a single trigger piece.

And getting the parts to make zenlocks custom regulators will save you space as well rather than trying to use the built in regs on on the dol-101 or the separate one on the dol-001, and also allow you to use a smaller battery pack you might fit inside it with some frankencasing.

Gamepad shell (white):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121505883780?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Triggers:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181651086424?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Buttons (white):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171656708342?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Oh, OK... I guess ill go with the Li-ion then. Sorry If im asking too much questions... This is my first portable even though I have lot of game system modding experience...

Hey, that's what this place is for. If you want a better idea of what I was talking about you can take a look at my worklog :http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=13773&start=40

I basically described everything I mentioned in my above post there. Included a WIP wiring diagram based on what I wanted my portable to be capable of. Might be of help to you.

I'm not exactly sure. I've never bothered to check for it. But as most others have mentioned on their finished projects around 1.5-2 hrs give or take. That's just a rough estimate.
You would have to figure out the power draw for each component in watts, then divide that into Watt/hrs rating of the battery I believe.

Ok, Imma go for it cause trust me batteries aren't cheap! haha :D . And, 7.4v is fine? I mean, the Power supply for the Gc is 12v so.

Well, in order to use the 7.4v battery you have to make a custom regulator. Check the mega sticky for zenlocs custom regulator. It will tell you all you need to know to build it and get it to work. Otherwise you have to have 12v. I believe its still way cheaper to go that route than to buy the $90 battery you linked.

Back