Gamecube VGA issue

Bakuku

Hi,

I'm having a wierd issue when using VGA on my Gamecube.
The component cable is modded to output VGA and works for a few minutes but then the screen starts acting wierd and resyncs the whole time and then finally shuts down with occasional image.
The screen starts flashing from Black to Game Image.

I've tested the Gamecube on 2 VGA compatible screen and both give me the same issue. Even wired it to a spare Gamecube I had with the same results. The chip can't be broken I think because I have used it in the past without issue and it workd for around 2 - 3 minutes before acting up. Chip came from a Component to RGB modded cable.

I used this guide

Please check the video:

I'm using an Innolux AT050TN22 5" LCD with a KYV-N2 V1 driveboard in the video.

Please help me. Would be a shame for such an expensive cable to go to waste!
Thanks in advance.

From what I understand the Wii and gamecube like to switch between interlaced and progressive even when progressive is forced. Try plugging it into an old CRT monitor and if the problem persists it isn't the adapter.

Fluxedo said:
From what I understand the Wii and gamecube like to switch between interlaced and progressive even when progressive is forced. Try plugging it into an old CRT monitor and if the problem persists it isn't the adapter.

My pc monitor doesn't accept interlaced I know that, it even says so when the intro menu is supposed to show and only shows image when in swiss, but the 5" screen does accept both 480i and p. So even if it switched the 5" would still be capable of displaying image, no?

What to do :(

It must be a slight incompatibility with your screen. That or the wiring is off, but it probably wouldn't work at all if the wiring were done incorrectly.

Blargaman91 said:
It must be a slight incompatibility with your screen. That or the wiring is off, but it probably wouldn't work at all if the wiring were done incorrectly.

I hope not... I did shorten the wires between motherboard and MX chip and was able to get steady image for about an hour on the startup screen with the error message because of the no disc drive connection "desolderd the wasp".

But that's still only 480i and with no real activity other then showing the error message and the tilting Cube behind the said message.

So I tested further and played some Resident Evil REmake "which looks awsome in VGA" and hadn't had any desyncs so far.
The image is still not perfect. Lots of interference "some flickering colors and visible scanlines" ,adding shielding on H and V will help resolve this I hope.
I think heat was the cause the image loss, I just placed the heatsink ontop of the mobo with the fan places above the heatsink. Secured them in place with the screws and works better now. More testing needed.

Sounds like a strange issue but given that you've been able to improve the situation I think it probably isn't some sort of incompatibility. Just keep the wires short and shielded wherever possible, and it will probably go away with proper care.

Back