Future Projects/Project Ideas

XCVG

ModRetro Legend
EDIT: THREAD EXPANDED! PROJECT IDEAS TOO NOW!

What are your potential future projects, dream projects, or on-the-drawing-board projects? Here are some of mine:

DSdock
This one is almost certainly going to happen. Think iPod dock, except for a DS. Need to get some parts to do it, the only really special one is the DS Lite power connector.

Neo Geo Console
Ever since I discovered the most expensive console ever I've wanted one. Of course the AES is obviously beyond my reach. But the MVS is not that expensive, and involves some hackery to boot! Preferably I would use a 2-slot board, with JROK encoder and custom arcade sticks. But I'm not that rich. A 1-slot board would be fine, even if I have to hack stereo onto it. I would probably build my own AD725 encoder to get video. For controllers, I'd somehow build a circuit so that I can plug in SNES pads because they are cheap and have the right number of buttons. The only obstacle here is getting an MVS board- I don't exactly want to spend $100 on the board alone. I'd also need some games, which are almost expensive as new games for modern consoles (though a lot cooler; GIANT cartridge>puny DVD).

SD-GOAC Portable
You have probably seen the SD card ROM loading Genesis clone on DealExtreme. Well, it would be perfect for a portable. I have a PC game case (like a DVD case but 2-3X thicker) that would make a great (read: okay) case. A 3"-3.5" screen would be perfect, but I'm not sure about the batteries. Unfortunately the GOAC alone is $20 and I would also need a screen. I'm both cheap and poor, so this probably won't happen anytime soon.

Project HackBOX
I was going to TSOP flash my XBOX, install a new dashboard, maybe add some USB ports and a bright blue LED but I never got around to it. Why? First, I'm too lazy to open it up. Second, I'm really nervous about bricking it. I actually have everything I need to do this, even the USB cable. I'm just too lazy and scared to.

XTOP
An XBOX original laptop, with new optical drive, HDD, and modchip. New dashboard, USB ports, picoPSU, battery ready. It should be pretty obvious why this isn't happening.

YAPGC
Yet Another Portable GameCube. Need a screen, big powerful battery, and a few cheap GameCubes. For this one I was planning to be the first to successfully build my own voltage regulator. I don't know if this one will ever happen.

While we're at it, why not share some projects that crashed and burned?

YAP64
Ah yes, the original YAP64. I fried the board by putting 12V across the 3.3V line. It took me a long time to get a new N64, but if I'd looked a little harder it wouldn't have. Unfortunately, more than one thing was fried. My confidence was fried too, and I'm nervous about YAP64/2 and I won't mod any of my other consoles.

Re: Future Projects

I can finish my EplisionNES, I just need the supplies.

Dude, hacking the Xbox is pretty easy.

My GBC mod is on hold - the things I want are out of stock for the project, and the store said they didn't know when they were getting more stuff.

I've had ideas for portable Wiis, but I don't feel like paying $150 for a Wii on eBay, then frying it.

Finally, I want to make a NOACp like LOB's second NOACp.

psonep, is mostly wired, but i think i fried my screen. i havent checked. i have all the parts.

ps2p, have all the parts, except a battery

n64p, will be in an ag-85, probably, have all the parts, except for a battery. n64 is at SS's house, getting an rcp wiring.

Dcp, um, yeah. i have most of the parts, except, once again, the battery.

Xbox laptop, have most of the parts ordered, but i need batteries, and i dont have 300$ :gonk:

multi system, ala bac style, but in a laptop form factor, with more room for bigger console "carts" this one is a ways out.

umm, yeah. i currently have, 4 psone screens, one 7" widescreen, one 8.5" widescreen, and 3 15" monitors, and one 14" uber thinepic one, that (Dang it all :awesome: ) is going to afro soon. i have one 3300 mah 7.2v battery, one 7400mah 7.2v battery, and one 14.8v 4400 mah one. oh, and a 5v 18000mah one. :awesome: :awesome:

I have one of those SD GOACs, they are neat. Might do something with it.

N64p
WiiP
Ion based PC handheld

lol, he was just the first to make a mock up. Lots of people talked about it before him. :awesome: In fact, I was planning an ITX Nano based portable long before Ion was even announced.

My GrapeBoy Color (That's my new frontlit unit) is mostly done, but needs the following things done still:

*Green Power LED
*Stronger speaker amplifier
*Swap out a different resistor to make the light even brighter

Working on another GBAsp in a TI-73 explorer. I never too pics of the original, as it was for a friend to play in math class, but I will document this one, as it'll be mine. ^_^

samjc3 said:
psonep, is mostly wired, but i think i fried my screen. i havent checked. i have all the parts.

ps2p, have all the parts, except a battery

n64p, will be in an ag-85, probably, have all the parts, except for a battery. n64 is at SS's house, getting an rcp wiring.

Dcp, um, yeah. i have most of the parts, except, once again, the battery.

Xbox laptop, have most of the parts ordered, but i need batteries, and i dont have 300$ :gonk:

multi system, ala bac style, but in a laptop form factor, with more room for bigger console "carts" this one is a ways out.

umm, yeah. i currently have, 4 psone screens, one 7" widescreen, one 8.5" widescreen, and 3 15" monitors, and one 14" uber thinepic one, that (Dang it all :awesome: ) is going to afro soon. i have one 3300 mah 7.2v battery, one 7400mah 7.2v battery, and one 14.8v 4400 mah one. oh, and a 5v 18000mah one. :awesome: :awesome:

Wow, you must be rich/have a job! I still need a battery for YAP64, and don't have a single PSone screen. Might be getting one soon though.

XCVG said:
Wow, you must be rich/have a job! I still need a battery for YAP64, and don't have a single PSone screen. Might be getting one soon though.
Thats nothing. You should see Palmer's collection. :awesome:

B_M, just use a GBA Micro. Unless your friend likes retro GB games, like me.

J.D said:
B_M, just use a GBA Micro. Unless your friend likes retro GB games, like me.
You misinterpreted. I already made one about a year back, and now I'm making one for myself.

Besides, the GBAsp's screen is the right size.

XCVG said:

lol, Basement Modder is right. Right now, I have 6x PSone Screens, 4x 7" widescreens, 2x 8" widescreens, 1x 9" widescreen, a 15" LCD, and a few each of 2.5", 3", and 3.5".

I also have a 6600mah lipo pack, a 4200mah lipo pack, a 2000mah li po pack, and many, many assorted NIMH and NICD packs, and a bunch of loose li-po cells. :p

And yes, I have a job. ;)

A NES portable using an actual NES motherboard. (hopefully cut in half and folded over)

A genesis portable using either a Genesis 3 or a Radica.

An n64 handheld, hopefully somewhat portable.

A SNES and Genesis combo, both using the same arcade-styled controller, laptop or cabinet style.

A huge LED panel on my ceiling, simulating the night sky, with a huge white and orange cluster to emulate the sun, with adjustable brightness. (Probably the most difficult and least likely ever to happen.)

Un-Commonly I'm making a PSp (PS1 Portable) as my first protable project...

Then I'm going on to do a PS2 mod, if I have the time...

The PS1 Portable itself will take a while unfortunatly...

Thinking about a PS2p and a GCp. I'm also trying to decide what to do with my empty cab. What will actually be done in the near future is the following:

Finish stereo modding a GG
Network the Church's security cameras to my laptop
Soldering Station
Adjustable Benchtop PSU

I've also got a 45 year old Zuckerman harpsichord I want to rebuild. It's been laying around for a few years, and after seeing the SSO's new aluminum-frame harpsi, I got the bug again. lol In any case, after installing all the security cameras, I want to do something that doesn't require electronics.

Back