Disc drive operation circuit

robm

Billy Mays
Staff member
Afro has asked me to build a disc drive operation circuit for him, so I figured I'd make a worklog of it here for all.

At the moment, I have parts purchased and will be breadboarding the circuit later tonight.

Here is the circuit to build in question: (All credit for design/implementation goes to Mods by Werd)
http://modsbywerd.blogspot.com/search/label/GD%20drive

Materials needed:
Your drive motor/tray assembly
5 switches
Four 10K resistors
2 3300uf capacitors (the diagram lists 1000, you want 3300)
2 555 timers (Radioshack)
12v power source

As far as setting up your drive/motor assembly, that's going to be entirely up to you - this worklog deals only with the circuit to drive the motor. One switch is needed for opening the tray, another switch is used for detecting open state, another switch is used for closed state, and I haven't been able to determine what the other two are used for yet. Figure it out. :awesome:

Will update this later tonight.

I can explain the switches a little better:

There are two switches on each timer in order to detect the open and closed state.

this will be cool, a guide for people who want to make a slot loading drive!(somebody needs a guide for that too)

sorry, that's what I meant. Tray loading, that would be awesome!(gamecubes would love to have this feature)

Crap, realized belatedly I don't have any 10k resistors left. Trip to Radioshack tomorrow imminent.

Breadboard is 99% set up, just need the resistors. Pics/vid tomorrow, if all goes as planned.

AfroLH said:
I can explain the switches a little better:

There are two switches on each timer in order to detect the open and closed state.

Ah, yep, that makes sense.

I've bought the resistors, will finish up the breadboard later today.

Back