Completed - Modded DS Lite "S Lite"

zack

--Completely forgot there was a finished projects board, so if you saw my last post in Handhelds, I'm moving that to here--

So hey guys, just finished up this modded DS Lite. I posted about this awhile ago with some help on a brightness issue (viewtopic.php?f=40&t=10826). It was stuck at the lowest brightness level and seemingly broken so that I couldn't access the DS menu to fix it - even with the LED mod. Turns out a low-resistance resistor was all I needed to access the menu and get things back to normal.
Anyways I've done some more work on it recently as well, mostly just replacing parts and fixing minor issues that I never mentioned before, but bottom line it's 100% complete and working great.
064hzw.jpg

(Full size HERE)

Here's a quick vid I just filmed, it mostly explains everything. (sorry for amateur video and crappy autofocus)

Like I said, I would consider selling it. Problem is, being 16, I don't have many payment methods available. If you want to PM me and work that out, I'll sell it for $30.

Re: Completed - Modded DS Lite/GBA (Needs a name)

S Lite... I like it. To be honest I wasn't expecting any amazingly good ideas.
Thanks.

hay zack, nice mod you made here :)
i love it.
im glad to see a ds mod, looks great.
was it very hard to do or doable-easy?

I'm making a similarish ds lite mod like yours, but I'm only doing the LED mod to run the ds lite off the bottom screen only for gab/ds games via a slot 1 card and an EZ flash 3in1 slot 2.

the speaker mod is super, im impressed man :)
also, did you do the led mod or use a resitor on your ds lite to get it to run off the bottom screen?

Pretty cool. I would have left the DS slot uncovered so it could also play DS games that only used the bottom screen, but it's not like there are many of those anyway. Good job man.

Gamerlolwind said:
was it very hard to do or doable-easy?
It was pretty easy besides trying to fit that speaker in. It's not hard to the point where it's more frustrating than fun.

also, did you do the led mod or use a resitor on your ds lite to get it to run off the bottom screen?
I originally was using the LED mod but suddenly it wouldn't work and I had to use a resistor. However, once I set the DS to auto mode and the GBA screen to lower, it automatically boots to the GBA game and it works without a mod at all.

Zero said:
Pretty cool. I would have left the DS slot uncovered so it could also play DS games that only used the bottom screen, but it's not like there are many of those anyway. Good job man.
The reason I covered the DS slot is because the DS "broke" and only works for GBA games right now. Also, I had to remove the slot 1 port to add the second speaker inside. Since this is strictly a GBA system there was no use for the slot at all.

I originally was using the LED mod but suddenly it wouldn't work and I had to use a resistor. However, once I set the DS to auto mode and the GBA screen to lower, it automatically boots to the GBA game and it works without a mod at all.

Thanx for the info, zack. Um I just did the mod now and I'm wondering why it doesn't light up the screen (bottom) I used an led, also when the wifi board is attached the led and power come on for a brief period then shut off, why? :(.

I have a similarly broken DS. What value of resistor do I need and where does it go? I can find info for the DS Phat, but not the Lite.

zack said:
Thanx for the info, zack. Um I just did the mod now and I'm wondering why it doesn't light up the screen (bottom) I used an led, also when the wifi board is attached the led and power come on for a brief period then shut off, why? .
You might want to experiment with different LED's, as some LED colors draw more or less current. I can't remember which ones but it's such a simple mod that it's worth playing around with. That was the problem with my mod, it wouldn't work due to the LED drawing too much current, and using a small resistor fixed that problem for me.

XCVG said:
I have a similarly broken DS. What value of resistor do I need and where does it go? I can find info for the DS Phat, but not the Lite.
Honestly I can't remember what value of the resistor was, but I know the color code is brown, green, orange, and then gold. Once I'm back at the lab, I can confirm what the value is, but until then here's the best pic I have of the resistor choices at the lab.
http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/6335/pic02668.jpg
I know it was one of these, so if you want to figure out which one based on the color code, be my guest. cuz I can't read the codes
As for the location of the LED, it's not hard to do some research and find out, but this diagram should help.

Back