Commission for marcello1~The Throwback64

bud

DAT ASS
Alright, so marcello contacted me and wanted a portable built. That's what I do, so I said "sure" :p

It's going to be pretty basic, yet very attractive in the end. Here have a specs list:
ZN-40 polycase
5 inch led psone screen
Official controls with an upgraded analog stick
5000mah li-po batteries
Ps1 triggers for R,L,and dual Z
Dpad
Second and third player controller port
Charge and play capability

I plan to get the case color as close to the original n64 black.

I've got all of the parts ordered, but I found a spare zn40 front from a previous project, and a zenith screen bezel, so I got a jump start tonight.
70ANKl.jpg

VIHnYl.jpg

Once all of the parts arrive I can hopefully bang this out quickly.

Re: Commission for marcello1

Dang bud, your getting comished like, every week now! :p

I'm a bit jealous tbh. I kind of want to be commissioned, but I have never made a portable so people are understandable weary to hire me. xD

nukear said:
Dang bud, your getting comished like, every week now! :p
I actually turn down like ten times as many commissions as I actually do. I get hundreds of messages from folks wanting to pay me XD
Hermaphroditus said:
I'm a bit jealous tbh. I kind of want to be commissioned, but I have never made a portable so people are understandable weary to hire me. xD
Heh, the JB was my first commission, and my first completed portable :p

Went ahead and put the controller pieces in. I had a left over shell from my last commission.
9tUhnl.jpg

I need to go and grab a couple sticks of epoxy putty.

I feel your pain man. I spent like 4.5 hours solid yesterday sanding... :/

The worst part is I've only got 220 grit sandpaper right now. I've got to wait until Tuesday to make some real progress :mad:

Looking good so far.

Little tip for sanding. One of these with 80g paper. Shouldn't take more than an hour to sand flat. ;)

31%2BSIQYplFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Aww yeah. I just picked up some 80 and borrowed my dads palm sander.

I also got a bunch of parts in the mail

cS10rl.jpg

Long way to go, but I like how it's looking.

I did some test fits today, and I may be able to leave the psone screen's CFL backlight in tact. Which is good, because the led mod is pretty lack luster.

Nice case! Looks really smooth with the sanding job done.

Black matte or glossy?

txq4Vl.jpg

Tomorrow I'll go get some higher grit sandpaper and sand off the excess glazing putty. After that, I just need to do some slight touch up then it'll be ready for priming and paint. Tomorrow I'll also get the psone triggers installed in the back portion of the case.

I've decided that since most 95% of the surface area on the case is now JB-weld/epoxy putty/bondo, it wouldn't make much sense to paint it with paint for plastics. I'm going to prime it like a car and find a good flat black automotive paint to match the original n64 color. Lay on some clear coat and it'll be good to go.

Make sure to remind him not to wash or wax it for 6 months. :p

I'm excited.

I'm so lonely in this thread :(

Primed:
hlapil.jpg

It's a sandable primer, so once it dries good, I'll work out every last little flaw in the case.

I also got the screen modded:
nPlSPl.jpg

I originally tried hooking up the screen with RGB, but the signal was too weak. I don't want to fool with an amp, so composite it is. I also went ahead and removed the unnecessary junk from the board so it'll be as power efficient as possible.

I didn't get the triggers in today because when I was dremeling, a decent sized chunk of plastic flew into my eye. So my vision has been pretty messed up today. I did manage to finish cutting them out before I ran inside to flush my eyes out :p

Ha, that's just the flash.

Don't worry, I've got safety glasses to use now ;)

Case looks really nice man, PSOne screen cut looks boss. I've got a few of them here I should really spend some time on.

Back