Ceramic Caps; stacking to try to get correct uF

ShockSlayer

Probably SS
(20:47:51) Aux: "You have to tie caps together in parallel to add up the values.
Combining caps in series will halve the values
The whole approach is just opposite that of resistance."
(20:48:10) Aux: This makes sense from the limited circuitous physics I know
(20:48:21) ShockSlayer: huh.
(20:48:59) Aux: Caps are like buckets, if you put them in parallel they'll fill at the same rate I think
(20:49:18) ShockSlayer: so, if I had two 22uF caps, in series they would be 44uF?
(20:49:52) Aux: I think so.
(20:50:26) ShockSlayer: I'll take your word for it.
---

Alrighty, so I'm trying to build bentomo's audio amp thingy, and I don't have .47uF ceramic caps, but I did get a big ass multipack with a bunch of smaller caps. Wondering if I can wire them together in parallel or series to acheive the values I need, kinda like resistors.

SS

Well, I don't think the value is TOO critical. Looking at the schematic, I'm even more sure. Try something and see of it works. Or, you can try two 1µf caps in series or two .22µf caps in parallel.

that caps does not have polarity so you cant use electrolitics caps
dont try to use 2 1uf in serie because it wont work :sweat:

brunoip said:
that caps does not have polarity so you cant use electrolitics caps
dont try to use 2 1uf in serie because it wont work :sweat:

THIS POST SOUNDS LIKE IT WAS WRITTEN BY SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.

The asociation of capacitors is the opposite of resistors. I thought you knew that.
Two 1uf capacitors in parallel makes you one 2uf capacitor.
Two 1uf capacitor in series makes you one 1/2uf capacitor.
Regards, Bruno :rofl:

Thanks bruno, that's pretty much what Mario was saying.

Okay, so, I need to use electrolytic caps because they have polarity. To the best of my knowledge ceramic caps don't have polarity...probably should've looked at the diagram before buying. Ah, well, what's $3?

SS

No, you need ceramic capacitors. Look at the datasheet, figure 19 at the bottom it says: "A 0.47uf capacitor should be ... "

either buy the capacitor you need, or just post the caps you have and let one of us do the math to see if you can achieve the necessary capacitance with the components you have.

edit: or, I suppose I can give you the capacitance formulae if you wish to try to figure it out yourself.

in series:
____1______   _1__
C1+C2+C3... = Ceq

in parallel:
C1+C2+C3... = Ceq

(Ceq is the resultant capacitance)

Back