Cars

bic said:
@vskid 16 MPG? Try 13 MPG. That's what our D200 got when it was still on the road. Dang thing is geared crazy low.

Those Civics are pretty good, a buddy of mine has the sedan model and likes it a lot. If you can get a decent price on it, go for it. Honda engines generally only need regular wear parts, oil, and a timing belt every 100k or so miles.
I was averaging, our Suburban gets about 16MPG, an Explorer will get into the low 20s if you're lucky, but an older full-size truck will be happy with 10.

Our '94 Civic: 260,000+ miles, in the few thousand miles we've had it it's needed oil changes and spark plug wires (because the previous owner somehow fudged them up).
My '97 Civic 226,000 miles, in the ~80,000 miles we've had it (my dad's best guess), its had oil changes and the timing belt/water pump replaced. The catalytic converter might be on its way out, it'll throw a code every few months, but I'll just keep reseting it until it doesn't pass emissions anymore.

Those engines are rocks. If you break one, you deserve to be clubbed upside the head. Of course they need other parts like shocks and wheel bearings like every other car, but the drivetrain is second to none.

I somehow managed around 22mpg in my 5.7L 91 silverado loaded down with my stuff for college, going 75mph for 2 hours with no drivers side window. But now that I have a window, no cargo, and never go above 50, I'm getting around 12... yay traffic.

Also, I would bet that if you let my older brother have a civic, on the condition that he never does anything within a foot of the engine, he would managed to trash it within the month... He just seems to have the ability to kill only the most reliable engines out there. Toss a beat up and off brand lawnmower engine on the back of a bicycle and give him the same conditions, and it will run forever.

Bush said:
Im assuming none of you like SUV's.

Actually, I REALLY like my Expedition.

Taken while I still lived at the old neighborhood:

polished.jpg

It's got a 5.4L V8, gets around 12 mpg (cause I don't care about fuel economy.. like a boss,) sits 8 people, runs like a top, and has almost 160K miles. The only real downside to this thing is that it's only 2wd, so I don't get 10 mpg :(

The thing rides better than my Oldsmobile, too. Largely because my olds needs new struts, but whatever.

I want a late eighty's Honda Civic. I'm currently driving a '91 Ford Ranger XLT. It's got a new engine with <30k miles on it, new brake rotors, new wheels, and runs great. flax gas mileage though.

I drive a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It has a 4.0L inline 6, and it gets around 16-20mpg. Works fine for me, I'd willingly pay more for gas to enjoy my car. I feel cramped in sedans and such, and I love the height and power SUVs have over most cars. It handles and accelerates great, and as long as you drive and coast efficiently, you can do alright with mpg.

Back