Car opinions

Bush

sweet justice
Im looking for a small SUV, like a Ford escape or Jeep grand cherokee, but those two are out of the contest, they have too many problems. My budget is about $4000. It needs to be a V6, and if its off-road capable, thats a bonus. Thanks for the help guys!

I've driven my mom's '98 Ford Explorer. It has a V6, and has 4 wheel drive. Drives really nice. She got it for 2800 from a local used dealership.

To be honest, any SUV you're going to get is going to have its own separate problems.

The Cherokees have drivetrain problems, namely rear end issues. Don't forget Chrysler's never-ending electrical problems.
Fords just... no. Transmissions, electrical, timing components, you name it. I hate those things, though they make me lots of money.
Blazers are great, but have problems with intake gaskets and other relatively minor - but expensive to repair - issues.

I will say this about Fords, I drive an Expedition right now and I love it. But, it's got a problem with the transmission and it's going to cost me about 700 bucks to fix it. It also rides better than my Oldsmobile.

Buy a Toyota. If it's in good standing and under 200k miles, then it will last you a while. *Can'tSayThisOnTV* supporting America. I don't support countries that make cars that fall apart.

I second Toyota, my dad's old '98 Camry went strong till last year when we sold it back to the dealership. All stock other than cupholders, 450k Km on it. We've got a Venza now, no problems at all.
American cars are flax, Americans only buy them to support their country. If they want to support their country, they should *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing stop buying flax cars and switch over to Japanese and Euro cars so American companies can learn about their mistakes and possibly be good enough to buy. Anyways, at least Toyota manufactures in the US(some cars, at least). My Venza came from Kentucky ::3:

The only toyata suv i might buy is a 4runner, which is out of my budget, and im not a toyota fan. I like honda, subaru, hyundai,etc

Older 4runners are great. Our family had one for ages. The Red Rover we called it ::3: Took it to 350k miles, sold it to someone, and they still own it and its running at like 450k miles today.

My families owned 2 grand cherokees (One of which we still own) and they start having LOTS of problems after about 70,000 miles (Not sure about that number). Our current one has problems where the power steering will just suddenly go out. It will randomly just stall and then you have to keep the revs up by giving it gas even if you're idling otherwise it will stall again. They're cool cars, but very problematic.

Yeah ive already heard how bad Grand Cherokees get. Once again, I cant afford a 4runner

Really Bush? Not even an older 4runner? We had one that was like a '98... slick little car. Fun to drive.

My aunt has a like an 00' Cherokee, with 260,000 miles on it and its still running strong. Those 4.0 liters run forever, although my uncle got one and had to replace a brake line and a sensor for the transmission, other than that the older Cherokees are brutes

Remember the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee are only related by brand name and are based off two different platforms. It's not like the Caravan/Grand Caravan/Voyager/Routan where it's all the same car with different shiny parts attached. I haven't heard of many major issues with the XJs, aside from people wrecking stock differentials by running a gigantic wheel/tire combination.

You could always get a Plymouth Trailduster. It has awesome 70s truck luxuries like windshield wipers and seats! :awesome:

A Nissan XTerra Offroad model meets your criteria, and they are VERY reliable. Both of my brothers, and I have one. Sturdy car.

Back