BitCoin

Okay then. That's what I thought. 9800GT won't cut it.
What speeds would it be profitable at?

It seems to be profitable pretty easily if you have an ATI card. Nvidia has flaxty, flaxty OpenCL drivers. :(

Meh. I don't need another graphics card just for this. Nvidia >>>> ATI for Folding@home. Are bitcoins even that profitable if you have a ATI card?

With a good rig, you can mine up to 4 BTC per day, which is about $24 at current exchange rates. So yeah.

I cant mine at all, so Ive been eyeing the market. You dont need to mine to get into this.

So if I had several computers (one with a 5670, one with a 9800GT and one with a 3650M) all mining to one deepbit account, would there be any chance of it being profitable?

The ones using ATI cards would (People buy entire rigs JUST for mining and still make money, if you already have them, you will make money), the ones using Nvidia cards not so much.

We are talking 10-20x faster on ATI.

Yea. I just found out the 5670 will push around 75 Mhash/s while the 9800GT will do 25mhash/s and the 3650 can't do OpenCL, so would 100Mhash/s be viable at all (if both ran 24/7)?

That is about $2.50 a day at the moment, so $75 a month. Does your electricity cost less than $75 extra? If so, you made money. :p

Calculator says... No. I won't make money. Considering one has a 750 Watt PSU, and the other a 650. Nope.

Thursty, What do you have???

And the 5670 by itself will only net me around 75mhash/s, which equates to 0.2 BTC every 24 hours, which is one BTC a week, which won't pay for electricity.

I don't understand how it uses computing to generate bitcoins. Could someone in the know explain it to me?

Just for comparison, I was able to run my 5770 at around 175 MH/s average (could get it up to 200 with a few tweaks), and I still wouldn't personally bother going through the trouble. Ever since the popularity of bitcoins soared the last few weeks, the difficulty has gotten a lot higher to match. Thursty said he was pulling 1GH/s each card, and THAT is very profitable, but it has become so popular that unless you have a high end ATI card, you can't make the same amounts people were making before. Like Bush said, I recommend people just buy bitcoins if they are interested, or even better, accept bitcoins when you sell stuff or services (no fees or taxes :awesome:). You could also invest in a higher end graphics card and pay it off with mining if you are willing to take the risk, or just leave it for a few days with your current rig if you just want a couple of coins to play around with. Who knows? Maybe the price will skyrocket again and you make some money.

XCVG said:
I don't understand how it uses computing to generate bitcoins. Could someone in the know explain it to me?
Basically, instead of one organization/company distributing the money, its run by your peers. Mathematically, there are only 21 million bitcoins that can be made, ever. So in order to distribute these over time, people/groups work to solve equations and crack the algorithm, in order to "mine" these bitcoins. Its just a clever way of distributing the money through the network/protocol rather than have it controlled by one organization.

Back