Bad Computer Problem (Fan I think)

D.J

The Official Ghost/Reaper of ModRetro
I have this problem with the fan, I think. See I have a laptop and for the past 6 months its been getting really, really hot. It gets so hot the screen will shut down and then the computer will follow. It just does that every 5 hours or so. My dad's computer is nice and cool when we have it on for the exact time. I don't have insurance on the thing so I can't just get it fixed. How much would it be for repairs or do you think I could repair it myself.

If its a fan issue, you can probably find another one at radioshack. Just get the right dementions and voltage.

Basement_Modder said:
If its a fan issue, you can probably find another one at radioshack. Just get the right dementions and voltage.
Probably could, but I'm really afraid of opening up my laptop.

DJ711 said:
Basement_Modder said:
Well, you asked us if it was self-reparable... why?

Basement_Modder said:
DJ711 said:
Basement_Modder said:
Well, you asked us if it was self-reparable... why?
Intrested in answer, I guess it would be a nice way of testing my new multi-meter! :mrgreen:

Is there a site I could I use to find the voltage or would I have to use the multi-meter to find it?

It's gonna by 12, 5, or 7 volts.
Fun Fact: Most any fan that size will happily run at anything above 3 volts or so, and won't be damaged until well above 12.

Which is why I am buying a desktop because, this thing SUCKS!

Anyway, yeah. I'll open it up later and clear out the dust.

Thanks for all the help.

Once again, I am right. :lol:

I am reflowing a GPU on a DV6000 today, the fan blew out and the GPU had to go and kill itself. :(

Make sure to check the updates page, a few of the DV series had a flaw in the BIOS that results in the fan not running. If there are any updates, download and install them, and let us know how it goes.

GRRRRR, I HATE THE HP DV SERIES! :evil:

PalmerTech said:
Once again, I am right. :lol:

I am reflowing a GPU on a DV6000 today, the fan blew out and the GPU had to go and kill itself. :(

Make sure to check the updates page, a few of the DV series had a flaw in the BIOS that results in the fan not running. If there are any updates, download and install them, and let us know how it goes.

GRRRRR, I HATE THE HP DV SERIES! :evil:
Thanks, Palmer. I'm on the official site as we speak.

PS: Did you recieve my PM (I'm sure as an admin your inbox must be full)

DJ711 said:
Anyway, I followed your steps in the thread and my computer shut down. It seems it need to download a file because I was missing a RAID controller? What does that even mean?

Tell me exactly what you did, step by step.

RAID is a kind of hard drive set up, perhaps it had a RAID setup and the HDD controller went bad? On another DV4000 I had, the wifi went bad, then the GPU, all thanks to heat. :evil:

PalmerTech said:
Double post, yeah yeah.

Check out these reviews: http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/notebooks/ ... 63p,00.htm

Looks like a pretty common problem. :rolleyes:

Also, the DVZ series is okay. HP stopped sucking so hard about a year ago, and they have some really nice stuff recently.
It also seems I'm missing a RAID controller, what ever that is.

Y'know what? I've been sick and tired of this freaking thing for 3 years!! I'll have 800 to 1000 bucks by the end of the summer, I think I'll build/buy and nice (hopefully gaming) desktop for my room.

Based on the reviews and forums, it seems HP is demanding money to have the laptop fixed and is hiding behind a one year warranty.

Could I sell this thing? Or am I stuck with it?

Give me one day and I will have for you a parts list for the sweetest computer under 900 dollars.

Bibin said:
Give me one day and I will have for you a parts list for the sweetest computer under 900 dollars.
Looking foward to it!

Back