Anime discussion thread.

Antome said:
This awesome little short came out of some young animators' film festival of sorts. Its godDang amazing and I hope it gets a series.
I'm going to second this. Loved the pilot episode here.

I'm gonna wait out attack on titan as well as the other new anime this season, until may-july to start marathoning.

At least that's what I plan on doing :>

Psycho-pass must release BDs faster so I can recommend it to people :(

Antome said:
I'm gonna wait out attack on titan as well as the other new anime this season, until may-july to start marathoning.

Trust me when I say that it won't matter. I got so into the story that I started reading the manga and I'm about to be caught up with the current chapter, and I never do that. At the current pacing, there is no way they will be able to finish the show without doing another 24 episode season about a year after the current season ends. So you might as well just watch it now and read it if you enjoyed it, or else you'll be waiting a long time.

I gave the first four episodes of the anime a watch. I rather liked it. I like the pacing of it. And the fact that the MC (at least so far) isn't annoyingly weak all the time or blatantly over powered.

The anime has got nothing on the manga yet. Prepare to flax your pants when it catches up.

No, but for real, I watch a pretty hefty amount of animu. I don't feel like reading the entire thread, but it looks like y'all aren't just watching Big 3 stuff. You're alright by me.

unless its a novel/manga adaption which is already well received, long anime (50+ I'd say) almost never works. after that point the writers are just asking for filler episodes and meaningless character emotion arcs.

Speaking of writing, do some writers only write the second half/ending of an anime once they have started production? Why is it common for anime to have a pandering second half which is full of tropes, or endings where all of the characters get along okay and most things are left for interpretation?

Antome said:
unless its a novel/manga adaption which is already well received, long anime (50+ I'd say) almost never works. after that point the writers are just asking for filler episodes and meaningless character emotion arcs.

Speaking of writing, do some writers only write the second half/ending of an anime once they have started production? Why is it common for anime to have a pandering second half which is full of tropes, or endings where all of the characters get along okay and most things are left for interpretation?
Anime is often done in parallel to the work it's based off of. It tends to progress much faster than manga, so sometimes it catches up and it then has nothing to go off of. This often leads to really flaxty endings or anime-original arcs in order to give the manga enough time to produce more content.

Also, speaking of really long anime, Gintama is probably the only excellent one I can think of.

YFtWT.jpg

Watched through the entirety of Clannad + After story.

:.(

Best.. comedy.

Dat arc in after story...

That left me empty.

Antome said:
Watched through the entirety of Clannad + After story.

:.(

Best.. comedy.

Dat arc in after story...

That left me empty.

Oh god, Clannad. I actually cried a bit at one point.

BUT IT TOTALLY ENDS HAPPY, I MAGICAL HAPPINESS LIGHT RESTORES EVERYTHING AND PEOPLE ARE HAPPY.

I think that was in the game, but idk. I heard the game is sadder than the anime.

Hermaphroditus said:
Oh god, Clannad. I actually cried a bit at one point.

BUT IT TOTALLY ENDS HAPPY, I MAGICAL HAPPINESS LIGHT RESTORES EVERYTHING AND PEOPLE ARE HAPPY.

I think that was in the game, but idk. I heard the game is sadder than the anime.
VN+Anime Spoiler (at least from what I read)

Apparrently after story has the bad ending, and the "good ending"(final ep in anime) required you to redo some/all of the game while collecting the lights.

Anime spoiler

So in this world he is given the option of starting over with her or living a life without. He wishes to stay with her forever, and so she/the lights grants? That wish, and they return to the birth scene like a dream.

If it wasn't for the preparation beforehand, it would have been a total gainax ending. But it fared well.

Supposedly the movie has a different end too, more bittersweet?

I heard the movie was just depressing, but I haven't watched it.

I rather liked the OVAs where he chose a different path (the girl with the same name as him). It was pretty neat to see the different paths represented.

As far as different paths being represented, one anime I thought did a good job was Yosuga no Sora, but my god there's so much sex. And incest. But I was impressed with the execution of the show overall.

Another romance/adventure which has an honorable mention is definitely spice and wolf.

The setting and fantasy that is created is unmatched for what it achieves.

Huge shame it hasn't gotten any more seasons.

The music from Clannad makes me cry. I have no idea why - I haven't even seen/played Clannad.

Finally started S;G, I'm finding it interesting so far. Only 5 episodes in, definitley moving at a pretty slow pace, but I have no problem with that.

Don't worry sam, clannad isn't too sad, for the most part its just a good comedy? romance. Its how it develops in after story which sets the show apart.

When you consider crying and laughter to be two sides of the same coin, clannad->after story is the kind of comedy that elicits both.

And Joey, good! It gets better, don't worry about it.

Also finished both seasons of "The world god only knows". Nothing serious, but a funny slapstick romance.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
SHINGEKI NO KYOJIN. DAMNIT.

Dat cliffhanger.

I'm going to actually have to read the manga. I never read manga. But that cliffhanger.

edit:

So, I'm reading the manga. It's really good.

Also the MC totally got like 50 times cooler knowing that he brutally murdered two kidnappers with a knife when he was 9.

Back