Anime discussion thread.

nterror said:
My favorite anime is probably Baccano! which is only 16 episodes long, and it should still be on Netflix. It's about immortal prohibition-era gangsters, and has a massive number of main characters. It's friggin' great.
Heard good things about this, but I wouldn't be able to deal with the dub on netflix unless it's one of the few that's well done.

I couldn't get into Baccano, and I though I would love it reading the description. I may give it another chance some day.

That's a Dang shame. There's a nice 720p Coalgirls torrent of it with both the original Japanese audio and English dub, and then English subtitles.

Gosh Dangit Zero, steins;gate is good.

Super cheesy, but good. They know how to pander an audience.

I don't like the psychological "scare" moments though. Doing it once in a while is okay, but too often and I'm not going to be sleeping. I'm about half way through, so maybe I don't need to sleep.

I just straight up don't handle psyche-scare well, in any form. So welp.

I love it. But you're right, it's a show you want to have time dedicated for so you can watch it in big chunks, or all at once.

Gosh dang it, Now I'm all philosophical over omnisentinence and parallel consciousness.
Steins;gate, although quite indirectly reminds me of the monoliths from 2001, an in general a creature's potential capacity and incentive to exist through time, space and dimensions.

I just started watching C The Money of Soul and Possibility Control. It's pretty...interesting. I'm not quite sure if I'd suggest it as of yet 'cause I'm only on the 3rd episode, but it's pretty nifty.

So far I'm liking it. Though the main character is a tad annoying, but you get used to that with anime after a while. It seems most anime are designed for you to hate the main character, anyways

Like if you've seen Needless. Oh my *Can'tSayThisOnTV* the main character in that is annoying. Seriously. Every episode he's like "OH NO WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE, I GIVE UP, WHAT DO WE DO?!"

I really liked C. It was pretty interesting. That said, I wasn't really fond of the ending. There was almost no resolution in comparison to other animes I've seen. I felt it left a lot of stuff hanging.

On another note, I started watching Serial Experiments Lain recently 'cause a friend recommended it now. It's a bit...weird.

Should I wait for robotics;notes to finish airing before I go looking for videos? Or jump into it now.

on episode 14 of gankutsuou. It's loosely based on the Count of Monte Cristo. I'm enjoying it, the art style may push some people away, but if you ignore it it's not to bad.

Antome said:
Should I wait for robotics;notes to finish airing before I go looking for videos? Or jump into it now.

I haven't seen it, so I don't know. It looks good though.

I think I might partition my watching time into chunks of robotics;notes and psycho-pass. Watch one of each a day, by which point both will be nearing the end of their seasons. They both sound neat, so I'll see how it goes.

edit: So far robotics;notes is very slow paced, but I like it. It'll be interesting to see if it develops into anything.

edit: so after several episodes in, its getting interesting. I was worried for a while there, but s'good.

edit: dozen episodes in, liking the plot. Its a bit mixed, but it continues to pick up the slack and make stuff interesting.

edit: WHAT THE *Can'tSayThisOnTV*.

Well, my mind has been blown far too many times to count. So many tie-ins to steins;gate (naturally, being the same timeline, and apparently chaos;head, haven't watched it) its not even funny.

so would you recommend it from what you've seen so far? Still haven't gotten around to watching steins;gate, but if I can add more to my list then I have no problem in doing so.

Watching steins;gate is a must before watching this, and knowing at least some of the plot or premise of chaos;head is also important(visual novel was apparrently good, anime was apparently awful). If you don't intend on watching chaos;head which I don't think you should, and you don't want to play the visual novel, you should read the plot.

They tie in to R;N in the later episodes.

Steins;gate has a very slow start compared to most anime, with the first half of the series being setting, character and minor plot development, with the next half being plot and action.

Robotics;notes goes one step further with like 10 episodes of character and setting development(no joke, like take the first 3 eps of S;G and make it 10 episodes), like 5 episodes of character and plot development, and what will appear to be an action packed final few episodes.

The other problem with the semi;colon animes is that they are VN adaptions. To make the games into a chronological story sacrifices were made, in the case of chaos;head the setting was ruined, in the case of steins;gate everyone bar the main character gets little character development, and in robotics;notes to try and get setting and character development in they throw in several story arcs. But if you can make sense of it all, it truly is amazing.

I flax you not though, Robotics;Notes has the most amazing and *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ed up scene in the history of anime, nay, media, ever. You will know it.

Back