AG-64p Worklog, snowpenguin's first portable

snowpenguin

Frequent Poster
EDIT: I will probably be ditching the zn-40. See page 4.

I started a thread at BH, got 1 comment, and abandoned it. I will start one here instead.

21bke9l.jpg

Got me mah PS2 screen!

mbhdvb.jpg

7.4v 4200 mAh batteries- Thanks Mario!

wia34g.jpg

N64 with successfully failed cart slot relocation. The power lines aren't receiving any voltage, being run from wall. Troubleshooting guide says to wait a day and try again, I will do so.

63wp6s.jpg

Back of case without cart slot. Cart slot comes up through small box.

2e5ku1z.jpg

Front of case, rough cut on screen hole complete, may put the screen on top though.

nd2615.jpg

Extra controller box uses a DB-15 connector.

10wr4mu.jpg

Third party controller with PS2 joystick soldered on and L/D-Pad section cut off as it won't be used.

1zvxsgy.jpg

Front with wrong buttons. Screen may end up that way as well.

Please comment!

TO BE CONTINUED

Re: ZN-40 N64p Worklog, snowpenguin's first portable! 56k FAIL

Awesome! Nice cuts in the plastic.

Ah, the power of the drill press.

The hole between the two boxes I cut with a crap soldering iron and TONS of filing. It stays together better now.

Very nice work for a first portable!

I would move the start button though. It's going to be impossible to use down there.

Argh, these n00b64p's keep getting better and better. What happened to the days when you could stick controls and a pocket TV to the front of an N64 case and call it a portable?

YES! MOTIVATION!!! Now I have a reason to finish mine first. ;)

Looks good, though! ;)

I always get sad when n64ps don't have an L button or d-pad. Now how can I play tetris? HOW?

kylechu said:
I always get sad when n64ps don't have an L button or d-pad. Now how can I play tetris? HOW?
Or Kirby :crying:

Tetris? I think I have that game... I don't want to include the Dpad to save space, to save mushy tacts, and because I just have nowhere to put the L button. Calm down, if you really want to play a game, you can always plug in the controller box then all functions will work. :dah:

Calm down, if you really want to play a game, you can always plug in the controller box then all functions will work. :dah:

Totally.

SS

Yes, I remember you did yours that way. Forgot to leave feedback, :dah:

As for the screen, my original reason was that on the inside of the ZN-40 there is a change in thickness, and right where I wanted the screen, it was very thick. Imma sand down the inside so it's all the same and see how it looks then. It was interrupting the controls anyway.

snowpenguin said:
Yes, I remember you did yours that way. Forgot to leave feedback, :dah:

As for the screen, my original reason was that on the inside of the ZN-40 there is a change in thickness, and right where I wanted the screen, it was very thick. Imma sand down the inside so it's all the same and see how it looks then. It was interrupting the controls anyway.
You can easily fit the screen on the inside of the case, even without sanding.

I know it fits, but I don't like how thick the plastic is right there, it's ugly and hard to get right.

B_M: Don't want to uglify the case as I won't be paintintg or bondo'ing. I got the inside all sanded now, looks much better.

Little bit of a progress update here. I have decided that my second cart slot relocation is FAIL like the first, so [shame]I paid jleemero to send me a n64 with the cart slot pre-relocated.[/shame]

So he'll send that priority today, good.

I drilled out the holes for the DB-15 out and the DC in, plus a little window for the LED. They're on the bottom when viewed from the front.

Pictures to come soon.

Got Joystick and start button mounted, start button hole is a tad too big, but oh well.

2yydwmq.jpg

The joystick is perfect. I mounted it like 1/64" below the opening and it glides around in there with no friction.

2zhqemu.jpg

Wooden dowels are used to hold the perfboards up just right, secured my mounds of hot glue.

2wdwodj.jpg

Please comment, how do you guys usually do the buttons and joysticks?

You used hotglue to support them? Fail.

Use something stronger, otherwise say goodbye after a few hours of playing.

SS

The N64 should arrive Monday, Penguino.

I didn't bother to take the time to prettify it, so yes it works, but it sure as Heck doesn't look good.

Less hotglue, moar epoxy, even SS acknowledges this.

Don't let my work go to waste slutforbrains.

Never expected to hear that from you, SS.

I might look to see what else I have, but I like how it is right now, and I don't beat down on the buttons really. They are supported very well, and I've tried pushing retty hard on the joystick and it held its own easy.

Yeah, but its going to be a very tight space(ZN-40), and the batteries and n64 generate heat. Maybe not enough to make it melt, but it will soften it, and then....

I'm trying to keep you from making the same mistakes I did, use epoxy! :D

SS

Back