A new TV and new problems.

Twilight Wolf

Frequent Poster
On Saturday, I finally got to pick up my new TV: a 32" Vizio that supports signals up to 1080i. It absolutely blew me away when I hooked up my PS3 to it using component cables (because HDMI is too damned expensive) - it looked incredible! Light years ahead of my old TV. However, I began having a problem with it almost immediately, within the first few hours of having it at home, in fact: the speakers make irritating crackling noises randomly, typically when there are loud, sharp noises in-game (like gunshots or explosions), but in quiet areas, too. I thought maybe it was "Team Fortress 2" that was the issue, for obvious reasons, but it happens on "Killzone 2" as well, and I think I noticed issues in "Bioshock," too. I sent an email to Vizio's customer support just after midnight on the 14th, and their confirmation email said this:

"As a commitment to excellent Customer Service, a representative will be contacting you with a reply before the close of the next business day." Well, guess what? It's just about the end of the business day after that (only two minutes to go now), and I've yet to get a reply. Not cool, Vizio. Not only was it a big disappointment to recieve what I'm pretty sure is a faulty set after saving up to buy one for so long, but your customer service is very unimpressive so far.

While I'll probably end up exchanging it for another one regardless of whether I get a reply or not, I'm curious to see what you guys think the problem I'm having might be caused by. Were the speakers blown before I even set my TV up?

Sounds like a bad amp inside, maybe bad speakers.

In any case, you don't need to use HDMI for 1080i anyway.

XCVG said:
Sounds like a bad amp inside, maybe bad speakers.

Interesting... makes sense, anyways. I wonder why their customer service couldn't have taken ten seconds to tell me that?

XCVG said:
In any case, you don't need to use HDMI for 1080i anyway.

Oh, I know - I can get up to 1080p out of component cables, too. I was just pointing that out in case someone came in and said "lol component cables you nub you should use HDMI".

HDMI is so flimsy, though. For the thickness of the connector and cable, the plug is not long enough, so it's almost prone to rattling and eventually being so loose that the jack is ruined.

Bibin said:
HDMI is so flimsy, though. For the thickness of the connector and cable, the plug is not long enough, so it's almost prone to rattling and eventually being so loose that the jack is ruined.

Both DVI and VGA are WAY shorter and I've never seen any problems with those.

Twilight Wolf said:
(because HDMI is too damned expensive)
Funny, I have an HDMI cable and I don't have a TV that takes HDMI. XD

You can pick up an HDMI cable on ebay.

About the crackling noise, check first for loose connections anywhere before thinking of the amp or speakers.

Bibin said:

That may explain why I've seen ads for HDMI cables with locking clips on them...

Aguiluz said:
About the crackling noise, check first for loose connections anywhere before thinking of the amp or speakers.

Hmm... you know, come to think of it, my PS2's component cable wasn't plugged in all the way when I thought it was, so I wasn't getting any kind of response from it... I'll double-check the cable on my PS3 and see if it helps any.

As for buying an HDMI cable on eBay, I'd rather buy a good-quality one than some $2.50 no-name one that most likely comes from China. I'm picky about that kind of thing.

Also, I finally got a reply from Vizio's tech support. Basically, they told me to call them and tell them the exact same thing I wrote in my email on the phone and then they would help me out with some troubleshooting tips. Heaven forbid they should take an extra 20 seconds to type in "Did you try [solution] or [solution]?".

facepalmru1.jpg

Up yours, Vizio.

XCVG said:
Bibin said:

Both DVI and VGA are WAY shorter and I've never seen any problems with those.

They have screw-on attachments and a more robust design within the plug.

The locking clip cables are better, but even those wear out (the clips) - screw in connectors was the stuff. Hats off to you, DVI.

RAAAAAGE

Right, so I took my TV back to Wal-Mart Saturday and got another TV. So far, the crackling problem seems to still be present in "TF2," but after asking around and doing some digging, I've determined that it's caused by the faulty work done by EA. Fine, I guess - I haven't noticed any issues in "Killzone 2" or "Bioshock," though. What has me pissed off, however, is that this new TV developed an irritating stuck pixel and shows up in most of the stuff I play and is very distracting. Pixel unsticking videos don't do anything, nor does getting aggressive and pressing on it nice and hard with my Palm Pilot stylus wrapped in a cloth. Since this one just randomly appeared, I'm fearful that more will follow before long. While I'd love to just dump the idea of sticking with a Vizio, I can't. Any other brand is going to cost me at least $100-$200 more for the same size screen, and since it took me from March to July to save up just enough money to buy this one, it'd take me at least another few months to get out of debt and save up enough, and that doesn't take into accout the fact that I have things I'd like to buy. I guess I'm screwed, TV-wise.

Any advice?

Twilight Wolf said:
RAAAAAGE

Right, so I took my TV back to Wal-Mart Saturday and got another TV. So far, the crackling problem seems to still be present in "TF2," but after asking around and doing some digging, I've determined that it's caused by the faulty work done by EA. Fine, I guess - I haven't noticed any issues in "Killzone 2" or "Bioshock," though. What has me pissed off, however, is that this new TV developed an irritating stuck pixel and shows up in most of the stuff I play and is very distracting. Pixel unsticking videos don't do anything, nor does getting aggressive and pressing on it nice and hard with my Palm Pilot stylus wrapped in a cloth. Since this one just randomly appeared, I'm fearful that more will follow before long. While I'd love to just dump the idea of sticking with a Vizio, I can't. Any other brand is going to cost me at least $100-$200 more for the same size screen, and since it took me from March to July to save up just enough money to buy this one, it'd take me at least another few months to get out of debt and save up enough, and that doesn't take into accout the fact that I have things I'd like to buy. I guess I'm screwed, TV-wise.

Any advice?

You get what you pay for. Sad I know, but the brand names are generally better. You should have got a Sony one to match your PS3! Other than that, I'm afraid you'll have to get used to the stuck pixel.

Try and do another exchange.

On that note, this is why I love costco: 2 year no questions asked electronics return. So awesome.

XCVG said:
You get what you pay for. Sad I know, but the brand names are generally better.

Vizio is a brand name. I'd never dream of buying some generic Wal-Mart TV.

XCVG said:
You should have got a Sony one to match your PS3!

Twilight Wolf said:
While I'd love to just dump the idea of sticking with a Vizio, I can't. Any other brand is going to cost me at least $100-$200 more for the same size screen, and since it took me from March to July to save up just enough money to buy this one, it'd take me at least another few months to get out of debt and save up enough, and that doesn't take into accout the fact that I have things I'd like to buy.

PalmerTech said:
Try and do another exchange.

On that note, this is why I love costco: 2 year no questions asked electronics return. So awesome.

I'll probably end up doing that. I can't imagine it would be an issue since my sister had to exchange her TV twice before she got one that worked right/didn't have a huge crack in the casing. If this next one works, fine, I'll be happy with it. If not, it's off to Samsung or Sony for a different TV and I'll send off a complaint letter to Vizio for their crappy customer service and poor products. I probably can't do anything either way until next weekend, though, since I'm going to California on Friday.

What did you expect for buying a flax brand?

You should've saved up for a Samsung :lol:

I'm getting a nice new 40" Samsung LED LCD HDTV soon, and a 24" Sceptre for my room.

I shouldn't have been getting a crappy brand - Vizio is a pretty respected brand in the TV world. All the reviews I've read have been excellent! Trust me, I do lots of research on this kind of thing before committing to a purchase. If I'm going to be spending $400 on anything (I'm pretty poor) I want to be sure it's being spent on something worth the money.

Vizio is a great brand, they basically use the same parts as the "expensive brand" Sharp and Sony TVs, but case design is done in-house. Saves money.

what's with all the vizio hate? Our house has been redecorated with Vizio TVs and my Bro got one for his house. All are great.

I have three words right now: I hate Vizio.

I exchanged my dead-pixel'd TV for another one on the second of August. All went reasonably well with the exchange, though a few extra steps had to be gone through since the price had gone back up to $429.99 - I guess that price drop was only temporary. I got it home and set it up and found no immediate issues, but due to my Grandma dying very unexpectedly, I didn't get to test it much since my personal schedule was altered significantly this week. I found no unexpected issues in either "Team Fortress 2" or "Fat Princess," but the crackly speakers have returned with a vengeance, this time crackling at me while playing the "Mirror's Edge" demo (which had very few sharp, loud noises) and "Warhawk" (which does, tons of it). I didn't have a problem with either on the original TV I got that had bad audio.

I'm really pissed now because not only is this my third TV that I'll have to take back to the store at some point, but I'm also too Dang broke for a new TV of any kind, even if I would be getting a $398 boost from getting refunded. After I get my money back, I'm going to write up a formal complaint letter and mail it to them. Bottom line, be extremely cautious if you plan on buying a Vizio. Many people love them, but I've had a horrible experience with them, both in product quality and customer service.

Now, anybody have any suggestions for a nice, affordable, 32" TV that preferably supports 720p/1080i? (I do not want a monitor. Just getting that out of the way now.) And would anyone care to help me with the fundraising for such a set?

If you decide to keep the Vizio, you can always buy some external speakers for it to solve your issue. Its not the ideal solution, but at least you wouldn't have to buy a brand new TV.

Twilight Wolf said:
As for buying an HDMI cable on eBay, I'd rather buy a good-quality one than some $2.50 no-name one that most likely comes from China. I'm picky about that kind of thing.

HDMI is digital, as long as a connection is made it will show the same picture the more expensive cables will show. The quality will not be worse, that's just a myth that has been going around. You can find plenty of articles online explaining this.

PS: I'm sorry about what occurred to your grandmother, my condolences go out to you and your family.

Have you tried different cables? I had to replace one on my PS2 due to intermittent video.

Try HDMI. As Zero said, HDMI is digital and will not be subject to interference.

If all else fails, get external speakers. Hey, at least it works!

Back