Zen64 work log!

zeturi

DEMON PIE!
Dis be my plan. It was gonna be a ZN-40 N64p, but I carelessly broke my zenith lcd. But, that's alright. I have an N64, screen, and batteries on the way. I already have an easy way of arranging parts to have a smaller sized N64p. I do need to think of what I'm using for a case, but I do have some scraps around here that might do the trick. Heck, I may even commission the case, since that's usually the part I have the most trouble with.

Re: Zeturi's N64p work log!

Let me know! I'm looking to do one shortly for a project I'm working on and I was just going to redo an old one of mine, but custom work would be better to document as I go along.

Re: Zeturi's N64p work log!

I'm going to attempt making my own case from some scraps. I think it'll turn out alright, but if it's unacceptable, then I'll definitely try to work out a deal with you.

I've made a mock up out of cardboard, and I find that my design and specs are very similar to the Toasty64, aside from the epic voltage setup that Toast is attempting. Once my parts actually arrive, I can starting laying them out and begin ABS cementing everything up.

Does anybody have an accurate measurement of an uncut n64 mobo? I wanna possibly start on my case, but I don't want to cut it too small. My case will approximately be 4.75 X 6 inches. Possibly 4 X 6 inches, if I trim the mother board a bit.

Photobucket won't let me upload, so I'm using tinypic temporarily.

This was the case donor... thanks, Bud! <3
2rh1gti.jpg

And this is it with the ABS cement drying.
2zggpeh.jpg

You might be able to tell in the photo, but the ABS cement is almost like playdoh consistency. Very easy to handle, not fluid at all, but malleable. That's what happens when you don't add acetone to your ABS cement regularly. :oops: If for some reason it doesn't create a good bond, then my jar of ABS cement should be ready in a few hours.

EDIT: It seems to be holding alright for now, though it hasn't been that long since I applied the ABS cement. I went ahead and filled in the odd spots with some JB Weld. I actually used one that's called "WaterWeld" but since it's just meant for sealing up cracks in pipes and whatnot, I'm sure it'll be fine. Once it's cured, I'll start sanding it down.

My parts will arrive in another two days. Once they get here, I'm going to be using some of the n64's case to make up the back of my portable. My LCD should be arriving on the same day, so I can cut out the hole for it. Ah, how I love it when the waiting game is so short. :awesome:

The ABS cement is solid as a rock right now, and it was only applied a few hours ago. The JB WaterWeld is also fully dried, I can sand it freely now. I probably won't update for a couple of more days, when my n64 and screen arrive.

EDIT: Dang IT. After I got through doing all this, I decided to cut out a paper sized version of a 3.5 inch screen. I put it on top of my case, and it looks tiny. Way too tiny. Dang IT Dang IT Dang IT. I guess... I'm gonna either have to try and revive my broken zenith with an led mod, or try to find a cheap 5 incher. Dang IT

I wouldn't waste more money, I'd just dremel some of the length of the case off and reattach the side.

Just my 2 cents.

Bud, you were right. I trimmed about an inch and a half off horizontally, and it looks a bit better. It's almost square, but that's alright. It'll be chuck full of controls and lights and knobs anyways. Thanks for suggesting that to me, I was starting to get frustrated, lol.

I've cut the case, right now it's dimensions are 4.5 x 5.5 inches. I still have to build the backing, but that'll be easy. The system should be under 2 inches thick, definitely, but I can't be sure till I get all the parts and start arranging them.

Toast, what are the dimensions for yours? I think they'd be pretty close in size, from the look of your pics. I will paint mine black or gray, depending on what I decide later. I could always try putting my avvy on the back of my system, too.

Batteries arrived today, along with the fuel gauge. I've already got them wired up and charging. As soon as they're done charging, I'm going to wire my two TI regs up and have it ready for installation.

Everything has arrived, all is in working order... the N64 arrived, complete with two controllers, an expansion pak, and three crappy test games. $35 shipped, not too bad. The 3.5 inch LCD has also arrived, and the quality isn't half bad. I can't seem to take any good pics of gameplay shots, but text is fully readable with the three sports games I'm testing with.

I'm going to work non-stop until I finish... hopefully I'll be done with all the electronics part within the next two days.

Lotsa work done today. All on the n64, not any case work.

7d0e9c32.jpg

I trimmed it quite a bit, and removed the expansion port on the bottom. I took the cartridge slot pins and bent them forward, so I was able to bridge them with the spots you normally relocate to. Haha, I got away without a cartridge relocation. I after that, I trimmed the living Heck out of it, testing every step of the way. Everything was all working great till I trimmed the bottom of the board, now the board won't boot. :( I'm hoping that just giving it a night of rest will be enough to revive it.

3d2b315f.jpg

Also, here's a pic of what the LCD I bought looks like with NBA Live 2000. Note that it looks pixelated, but it's something that my camera is causing. In real life, it looks better and is easier on the eyes.

The bottom traces need to be rewired. Your board wont work again until you either rewire them or U8. Good luck,

- mymixed

I tried rewiring those with stranded wire earlier, but it still didn't working. I'm thinking that my stranded wire wasn't making it all the way into the holes though, so I'm going to try and find some thin solid core wire to rewire it with.

If you're not wiring to the u8 chip, I'd rewire both the top and bottom. Just to be safe.

I've cut too far back to wire at the ports, so U8 it is. Also, there are a couple of more traces I want to rewire, but I'm out of small gauge wire. :( Manana, I will grab some from Ratshack so I can be done with the N64's wiring.

Back