Wii DVD/Wiikey Fusion/WODE (sd/hdd loading) on Gamecube

Re: Wii DVD drive on Gamecube

To avoid confusion here is a little diagram of what pins are what on the Wii DVD drive. The top connector is power obviously. The red circles indicate power connections and the black represent ground. I have marked pin 1 on the dvd connector in reference to the pinout I supplied in the first post of this thread. Bow down to my paint skillz. ;P

DSCN0542.jpg

Abb_eliten said:
zenloc said:
Also if you just wanna remove the whole eject thing all together and use it like palmer's slimmed drive how would you have to wire the eject switch?

I was also thinking about this. And if you slim it down, how will know when to start reading the disc?
Like the lid open/closed switch on the GC

Sorry I missed this the first time. If you wanted to slim the drive like palsmer did and eliminate eject as of right now all you would have to do is wire pin 29(wii) to ground. Pin 23(wii) to pin12(gc) is the lid open/closed signal. you could wire a switch between these pins to simulate lid open/closed.

hmmm. This creates an interesting problem for portable gamecubes.

The gamecube doesn't have a "3.3v" line, but it does have a 3.43v line. So hopefully THAT wouldn't matter. It also has a 5v line, so thats not the issue.

But for the 12v line, this is problematic for people modding their cube to run off Zenlocs custom regulator or simply bridging the 5v and 12v lines from the normal power board.

Ashen, is the 12v line absolutely necessary? I guess we could try the drive without it and see what happens.

EDIT: the reason its a problem is if you wanted to run the gamecube off of 11v or lower.

Ashen said:
Abb_eliten said:
zenloc said:
Also if you just wanna remove the whole eject thing all together and use it like palmer's slimmed drive how would you have to wire the eject switch?

I was also thinking about this. And if you slim it down, how will know when to start reading the disc?
Like the lid open/closed switch on the GC

Sorry I missed this the first time. If you wanted to slim the drive like palsmer did and eliminate eject as of right now all you would have to do is wire pin 29(wii) to ground. Pin 23(wii) to pin12(gc) is the lid open/closed signal. you could wire a switch between these pins to simulate lid open/closed.

Ok

That's easier than I thought. I like when it's that way :)
Thanks!

Tchay said:
hmmm. This creates an interesting problem for portable gamecubes.

The gamecube doesn't have a "3.3v" line, but it does have a 3.43v line. So hopefully THAT wouldn't matter. It also has a 5v line, so thats not the issue.

But for the 12v line, this is problematic for people modding their cube to run off Zenlocs custom regulator or simply bridging the 5v and 12v lines from the normal power board.

Ashen, is the 12v line absolutely necessary? I guess we could try the drive without it and see what happens.

EDIT: the reason its a problem is if you wanted to run the gamecube off of 11v or lower.

I'm running the 3.3v line off the GC's 3.43v line straight from the power regulator. Also I'm pretty sure the exi bus provides a 3.3v line somewhere. I'm not sure about the 12v line going to the drive or how low you could take the voltage before the drive craps out or if its even needed. Someone with some spare drives can try this. ;P

Ashen have you tried to disconnect the 12v line from the drive? Just like Tchay mentioned if the 12v line is not needed or still works on 5v we have the perfect replacement drive.

I wonder though if it will be able to read full backups once it's working with a modchip.

I'm gonna fiddle around a bit and post my findings if I have anything worth sharing.

Again awesome progress! Never thought that someone would actually make it work.

Yeah this is great stuff Zenloc. We now have everything in place for the perfect portable gamecubes.

Small motherboards and a small freaking disc drive! FINALLY.

Speaking of which, Zen, not sure if you saw my post in my guide section. But motherboards that say "DOL - CPU - 20" on them can be slimmed a lot on the controller side of the board. These boards will have a time crystal instead of that 4-pinned copper chip on other boards.

when you make the cuts on the other boards, the memory cards get an error and sound sometimes goes out for good. I'll try and upload a cutting guide video in the next couple weeks. :)

Yeah saw your post a couple of days ago. Good stuff!! I was cutting a couple of mobo's I had laying around a while back and also cut that part off. Everything worked fine though never had any memorycard error's. Not sure which revision it was though. One thing though is that the controller data lines go through those little 5 legged chips but when you take them off nothing really changes...... Strange..... Further investigation must be done...

In my gamecubeslide commission you can see one of my cut board. It's funny really after we made the discovery of what the hidden layers look like cutting is so much easier.

By the way I don't know if I mentioned it before but the sound amp on both the gamecube and n64 can be removed all together. Jus wiring the sound directly the you PsOne amp or any other amp will give you perfect sound. So no need to rewire all the little components just remove them all together.

I'm glad though that you compiled all the info I'm terrible at documenting my work....

zenloc said:
Ashen have you tried to disconnect the 12v line from the drive? Just like Tchay mentioned if the 12v line is not needed or still works on 5v we have the perfect replacement drive.

I wonder though if it will be able to read full backups once it's working with a modchip.

I'm gonna fiddle around a bit and post my findings if I have anything worth sharing.

Again awesome progress! Never thought that someone would actually make it work.

Just tested this. My drive will not run off of 5v (disc insertion/ejection is really slow and the disc does not spin up). It does however run off of 7.4v (this is not extensively tested though).

I wired up my viper extreme today and it does not load backups (always get errors), neither does my d2lite wii drivechip (also errors out). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb1yHNCTROs

Hmmmm that would make it work of my custom regulator..... I wonder how low the voltage can go..... I'm gonna try a couple of things with my lab supply and see what I come up with.

First gotta connect everything and make it work :p

:eek:

Did you put any games on the hdd? Of can it not see them? It feels so close.... :mrgreen:

There are a few games loaded to the HDD on that sundriver... I'm pretty sure it hung at the boot loader screen before it could load them from the HDD... I will be trying more later though. This is definitely the farthest I've gotten with the sun. Lets hope its a boot timing issue and can be replicated again.

zenloc said:
Yeah saw your post a couple of days ago. Good stuff!! I was cutting a couple of mobo's I had laying around a while back and also cut that part off. Everything worked fine though never had any memorycard error's. Not sure which revision it was though. One thing though is that the controller data lines go through those little 5 legged chips but when you take them off nothing really changes...... Strange..... Further investigation must be done...
at documenting my work....

What I did was, I had a mobo hooked up to my TV and put it on the memory card option of the boot screen. I had a memory card in so I could see the game data. The VERY MOMENT I removed that little 5 legged filter, it gave me an error on the memory card screen. NOTE, that this was for the wrong motherboard. On a CPU - 20 motherboard, nothing happens and the memory card continues to work. I don't know why that filter cap matters as it really shouldnt. If you figure anything out, let me know of course ;)

And this is very good news since we can run the cube entirely off of 7.4v batteries. I am want to see if its possible to slim down the injection mechanism on the Wii drive so that its much less wide but can still be injected with small GC discs. Palmer said it was unlikely since the mechanism works from the very edges of the case holding, but I want to get my hands on a drive and play around with it. I welcome anyone else to try as well. Sure we just do the top loading mod like what Palmer did. But it would be very neat to have a GCP that could have games just "slide" into the portable :D

Oh and great work on the Sundriver, Ashen. I am amazed the boot screen even came up as it was designed for a wii. I guess the voltage and wii drive board were the only things that the sundriver used for its sequences.

I accedentally sliced through pin 32 on the dd ribbon cable..will it work without pin 32 or is rewiring needed?Do I wire all of the ground pins together including the 6 ground wires coming out of the top power conector?..and do I wire all of them to the edge of the motherbored or to ground pin 12 on the regulator bored?sorry just a little confusion :)

Pins 32, 31 and 30 are not needed at all. If you are wiring straight to the ribbon cable make sure to check continuity on all the pins before you fire it up. Lots of hot glue after you wire it all up will help hold things in place. The ground wires coming from the ribbon cable I have bridged and run to the ground that runs around the outside of the GC motherboard.

DSCN0528.jpg

I would run the power connector ground connections to the power regulator ground pin(s) just to be safe. If for some reason you get a voltage spike it wont fry your mobo then.

Finally got around to identifying my Wii drive:

WiiDrive.jpg

Anyone who is planning on doing this mod please post your drive info here and I will try to keep a list updated in the first post of this thread just in case we run into any incompatible chipsets/drive revisions. I don't think we should run into trouble but you never know. Drive identification can be done here: http://www.wiidrives.com/list thx SS. Also if you have any GC/Wii modchips to try that are confirmed working with your drive model please try them. So far my Viper Extreme (GC modchip) and D2lite (Wii modchip) have been incompatible running backups. Thx.

Back