Why doesn't this jumper relocation work?

βeta

ModRetro Legend
SS has wired it like 8 times, and we are getting no results. The board has been confirmed to work after every attempt. Any ideas?

Click the image for a bigger one.

*Can'tSayThisOnTV* it, we got it working, no thanks to anyone.

kHkdel.jpg

EHWoil.jpg

It's resoldered to the very top of where the port goes, we needed that extra trimming. Folding it up wouldn't have been enough.

This is the only reason I can see why this didn't work:

1RjpV.jpg

Pin 23 should have connected to C5 on the jumper pack.

That may not have been it, but I just pinned this all out for myself with a multimeter to see where flax goes both on the board and on the jumper pack. I also looked at a flax ton of diagrams and other people's work and its the only thing I can see that you guys don't have connected in that pic.

I'm going to give this a go here real soon. I already got the ramswap done tonight.

I know this is to little to late as far as this thread goes. But may be helpful in the future.

So I've attempted this 3 times now, all 3 times without success. All 3 times I confirmed the board working before and after my attempts. Like I said previously, I pinned out everything for myself both on the N64 MB AND on the jumper pack itself. This was before I realized that Bentomo had already done this here: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=628 which I can confirm is 100% accurate.

Very frustrating to say the least, and I'm at a total loss as to why relocating the jumper pack directly after the removal of the expansion port doesn't work. In all rights all the jumper pack is is an array of pull up resistors attached to the onboard memory. This being the case as far as I can see latency should never be an issue, but its also the only thing I can think of that would be the issue.

On the front of each expansion pack board is the label: NUS-RTC-XX which equates to "Nintendo US - Real Time Clock - Revision #" If the expansion packs pull up resistor arrays are indeed controlling the memory timings then latency/wire size/length very well may be the issue. I'll give it one more go here later and see if I get any different results. I'm doubtful, but whatever.

We tried this 4 or 5 times in a row with no luck. Desoldering the expansion port, rotating it 90º, and resoldering it was the best we could get working. Very frustrating.

As far as that C5 is concerned, it isn't present on later jumper paks, and isn't necessary. Connecting it didn't change anything.

Yea, the C5 capacitor doesnt seem to be needed. However as far as I can tell, older boards with the dual onboard memory chips came with the jumper pack with the extra C5 cap, newer boards came with jumper packs without the extra cap because they only have 1memory chip onboard. Probably not a super critical thing. But imo if you have a board with 2 onboard ram chips its probably not a bad idea to relocate it. It'll keep the memory from struggling to keep the current draw it needs to work proper.

Wow, I can't believe it worked with wires that long. The only time I've done this I had to keep the wires around a few cm for it to work.

This was mostly for testing purposes. It works intermittently and if I go in game it mostly crashes 20-30 seconds in. At least now I know what/how to wire, and that this flax is super critical of wire length/size.

You gave up and wired every trace. I know that feel. You really shouldn't have to, all the ground lines are tied together on the back of the motherboard.

Back