What's wrong with the screen?

pLover

Apparently plover is a type of bird.
Ok, so I modded the PSone screen, but there's something wrong.

First, It won't show the game. The screen stays off when it should be showing the game.
Second, the 10 ohm resistor so hot is melting the glue, and it's smoking.

I wired it like this (all wires are ribbon cable, if that matters):

The top right negative lead (TRN) is soldered to a ribbon cable going to the bottom right negative lead (BRN).
The BRN is then going to the bottom left negative lead (BLN), which also goes to the ground.

So the TRN has one piece of cable on it.
The BRN has two.
The BLN also has two.
The ground has one. BUT, it's laying flat, rather than passing through a hole.

Now the Top Right Positive lead (TRP) is going to one side of the resistor (RS1).
The Bottom Right Positive lead (BRP) is also going to the RS1.
And so is the Bottom Left Positive lead (BLP).
The other side of the resistor (RS2) is connected to the regulator it tells you to connect to in the book.

The TRP has one piece of cable on it.
The BRP has one piece of cable on it.
The BRL has one piece of cable on it.
The RS1 has three pieces of cable on it.
The RS2 has one piece of cable on it.
The Regulator has one piece of cable on it.

I can't figure out what's wrong. Could it be that the solder is blocking the leads from the wires on some things? Or does the solder still carry a connection? Could I have it plugged into the PSone screen wrong? Could something be wrong in the screen's lightbox, or something? Or is it something more simple, like after I take out the transformer, I can't hook it up to the PS1?

Dude, I don't even know what you are talking about.

First, the way you are (no offense) study what you are doing before you do it.

Second, you don't use 10ohm reistors. You use 33 ohm resistors and some use 22 ohm

Third, You take one wire and solder to the five volt regulator spot. Then take the wire break it into four wires. Add a resistor to each of the wires and then attach that to the LEDs, one wire per LED. Next, hook up the other side of the LEDS together and add it to a ground.

Oh, right! That's what's wrong, thank you! (I think, I just need to double check in the morning)

And no, the book says to use a 10 ohm.

I am sorry but, the book is very old and out dated. You can ask any one. They are old methods, which we have newer ones that are far better. That why the book said use a paper clip. Don't use the book for all the details use it as a reference.

So then how should I wire the screen? Is it drastically different than he book says? And will it be easy to desolder, unglue, and rewire?

There are so, many wires that yes it would be much easier. I haven't done the LED mod and can't be 100% sure if I am correct on saying what I did before, but I am pretty close to it. Wait for some one to confirm.

Also, there shouldn't be smoke coming from a resistor and just changing the resistor type probably won't help. So, the way you wired it must be wrong.

I don't even understand what you did and to solder so, many wires to the screen like that would just call for something like this to happen.

I would wait and go do something else until someone can confirm on what I said about how to hook it up.

You connect your LEDs in parallel, each one with its own 33ohm resistor, going to the 5v regulator on the other side of the board.

Wait, so the old technique doesn't work at all? Like even if you do it right, it won't work? Or is it that it'll still work, but there are just better ways?

The way the book tells you to is completely 'tarded, sad to say, has no electronic basis at all. :mad:

It CAN work, but it is a very bad idea.

A few more questions:

1. Does the screen not light, or not turn on? As in, can you see the game very dimly in a bright light?

2. Can you take pictures?

Let us know, we will try and help!

I've checked, and it just doesn't come on.

ANd I don't think I can get pictures. I might be able to create a simplified replica, though.

Which fuse? You mean the one powering the screen? If so, then sort of. I haven't checked it, but the power goes through it and into the PSone, so it must work.

Also, here's the picture. Just a note, I made some of the green lines go over the screen, just to make it a little more simple. In real life, though, they go down and around. Also, don't mind the pink dots in the LEDs and the Resistor, that's just a file conversion thing.

257k8ph.png

Obviously, the brown thing is the 10 ohm resistor, and obviously, the square is the screen, and the circle is the circuit board. The blue things are the LEDs. The Blue lines are positive leads, and red is negative. Green lines are what connect negative leads, and orange connect positive. The dark purple line is the wire to the regulator, and the grey lines are the resistor's tabs. Lastly, the grey block is the ground.

Also, for the resistor, is there a positive side, and a negative side? If so, that may be the problem.

I have a hunch on what you need to do, but I need to sleep now, and have work tomorrow. I can look up more info on my possible fix (Guys, find it, it is that pin you sometimes need to bridge for the display to register video) tomorrow, but I am out for for a good 15 hours or so.

Guys, help him out! :p

lol, that pin mght be helpful for me too.

I had my screen smoke and it doesn't come on unless power it put to the regulator directly. You should try different power inputs on the screen to turn it on. Sometimes different place work at different times. Don't ask me why it just sometimes works that way.

Well, power is obviously going to it, because the resistor is getting hotter than a glue gun in far less time.

Or, if the same thing happened to you when you did it, then it might work. But how would I get power straight to the regulator? Just wait until I've hooked up the batteries? I don't think I can wait that long, because if that's not the problem, I'll have to desolder the battery voltage from the regulator, and then desolder everything else.

Anyway, I'd prefer to find out exactly what's wrong before experimenting.

WHY does everone use 33 ohm resistors? You use a different resistor based on the forward voltage and the amperage rating of your LEDs, not just some generic one size tries to fit all thing.

Well, my LEDs need 22ohm resistors, but telling people to use 33ohm resistors is a lot safer than telling them to use 1x 10ohm resistors. :p

I think he is right, you should try putting the power straight to the 7805 regulator, that is how one of my screens is hooked up. I looked up that pin thing I was remembering, turns out it was for RGB, sorry. :(

Ok, so which prong of the regulator should I hook the power to? Left, middle, or right?

Also, I assume the soonest time I could do this is once I get to the case?

Back