Website?

seanmacdonn

Anybody know anything about making a website? I have Microsoft Visual Studio, and I'm trying to make a website for my girlfriends aunts business. All I know how to do is write the code, but I don't know anything about asp.net, All I know is how to make a website in html (doesn't need to be compiled). I keep getting an error when I try to view it saying that it "Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet." and it also says:

"A name was started with an invalid character. Error processing resource 'file:///C:/Users/Sean MacDonnell/Desktop/Index/Con...

<%@ Page Title="Contact" Language="VB" MasterPageFile="~/Site.Master" AutoEventWireup="false"
-^"
I don't know what to make of it.

I don't know much about php, but I just made a new site using html and css last night, but I'll look into php a bit more.

What kind of content do you need to serve?

I suggest building the site off an existing backend like WordPress or Drupal, so all you have to worry about is the content and template.

brunoip said:
Y dont u use html/css/php?

I believe this is what you meant?

Seanmacdonn-Y-U-No-use-htmlcssphp.jpg

04tm34l3 said:
if you can get your hands on dreamweaver, its pretty handy

This. I'm in a webpage design class, and I've got a lot of free time in it. Perhaps if you tell me what kind of pages would be needed, I could make you one on Adobe Dreamweaver CS5 using a template, if you want. I can also make one from scratch, but it takes much longer and doesn't end up looking nearly as good. CSS styling and HTML code and I have been fighting for a while, but I get along well enough.

If it requires actual product sales on the site, though, I can't do it. Haven't been taught how to do that yet.

TheNineRings said:
04tm34l3 said:

This. I'm in a webpage design class, and I've got a lot of free time in it. Perhaps if you tell me what kind of pages would be needed, I could make you one on Adobe Dreamweaver CS5 using a template, if you want. I can also make one from scratch, but it takes much longer and doesn't end up looking nearly as good. CSS styling and HTML code and I have been fighting for a while, but I get along well enough.

If it requires actual product sales on the site, though, I can't do it. Haven't been taught how to do that yet.

exactly

04tm34l3 said:
TheNineRings said:
04tm34l3 said:

exactly
Dreamweaver is helpful for beginners, but the code it creates is sloppier than a hooker's vagina.

Zero said:
04tm34l3 said:
TheNineRings said:
04tm34l3 said:

exactly
Dreamweaver is helpful for beginners, but the code it creates is sloppier than a hooker's vagina.

That's true. Why the program and I have been arguing, actually. The stupid program refuses to allow me to center anything properly, and I have to force everything to go where I want it to be. I also go back and arrange the code manually, so I don't have any problems with slipshod code arrangement. Unlike the google page, where literally all of it is on one extremely long line o' code.

I still say if all you're interested in is throwing up a decent-running site you should just install Wordpress or Drupal, and concentrate on the content and template rather than try to write everything from scratch.

Also why are we quoting the entire quote tunnel of the previous post, even though all the quoted posts are sequential? :dah:

As for myself, I want to be able to code it. It's fun to be able to do stuff like that. Frustrating, but fun.

And as for me with the quote, on another forum I'm a member of we kept quoting to see how big the box could get. I don't think we ever figured out how big it could get, though. It was down to one short word per line, though.

Back