I have a question.

GingerFox

First of all, thank you guys for this awesome website, it's so cool to see portable system and how to do them. You are doing a great job, and i hope you will do it for a long time ^^

So after visiting the site often i decide to register to ask you a question :

how did you learn so much about electronics ? I mean, i'm building an GC portable with my old GC, and i want to make look like the Tchay GC, so i followed is guide, but when it comes to electronic on the motherboard, soldering, etc, i'm just so upset about me, cause i cant do it ! I dont know how to !

I love computing and i know the basic (i repair computer, iPhone, i build my own pc rig) but now i want to get more into the "electronic" stuff, i really want to learn but dont know where to start. So where did you start ?

Thank you again, and sorry for my english, it's not my first language, i'm french :)

Bye !

Most of us just poked around and broke stuff a lot until we started to figure things out.

ttsgeb said:
Most of us just poked around and broke stuff a lot until we started to figure things out.
This.

I found Benheck's blog when I was twelve, and was immediately interested. I bought a soldering iron and another N64 the next day, and I've never looked back. 7 years later, I have more experience than school could have ever taught me, and more electronic junk than your local landfill.

all the soldering and modding stuff, most of these guys have learned just by doing. The more times you screw up, the more ways you learn not to do it, and eventually all you'll have left is the way to do it. ;)

But if you really want to learn about electronics, study computer or electrical engineering.

Pro-Tip: Do not pick up the soldering iron as you would a pencil. You will have to write with your non-dominate hand for the next 2 weeks at school.

ttsgeb said:
Pro-Tip: Do not pick up the soldering iron as you would a pencil. You will have to write with your non-dominate hand for the next 2 weeks at school.
haha, my friend was reaching for the shaft and both myself and the professor who happened to be in the lab shouted at him not to grab it there, but he did anyways.

Thank you for the respond, i think i'll try some easy things to do :) I was wondering if you have like an easy project to do, including soldering, so i could learn when i do this project ?

Thanks again :)

I practiced by getting a junked circuit board and wiring random pins to each other.
Once you get a little skill, maybe do an LED mod. Those are simple and cheap. Something like gman's Mp3 player in an NES controller are also a good idea.

Most of what I did was trying to fix things or make custom cables.
Adding standard connectors to the back of a console is also a good way to learn.

I found a pipe soldering gun, and soldered all over a ps1 board when i was 9, than googled atound about n64s which led me to a forum a few years later.

Okay, thank you all ! I'll start to solder random thing on a old PS1 motherboard that is dead, i'll try to make an LED mod for the fun, then i'll see for he GC modding with soldering the mobo.

:)

Back