Trim Wii disc drive and install disc holding platform

Any interest in how to do this? I've seen trimmed drives but haven't seen one that holds the disc to the spindle like in top loading drives. I've made a few and its pretty easy. If there's interest I'll make a guide.

Similar to a Gamecube? That would be neat, but I'm sure it's possible to use the disc drive from a Wii Mini to do such a thing.

Have you tried? I'm not sure it is possible, at least not as a plug and play option. Maybe if they used the same lasers and motors and you used the drive board from the Wii, but I don't have one to check.
I was told its just not compatible.
Plus if you already have a Wii drive its a matter of a couple of cheap parts and some trimming of the platform. From there it really depends on how your using it as to how to remount it.

Gems said:
Similar to a Gamecube? That would be neat, but I'm sure it's possible to use the disc drive from a Wii Mini to do such a thing.

Gamecube discs wouldn't be supported.

Maybe you could have the disc drive just be asthetic and load up a game, and pretend it's loading from the disc. Attach a little motor that spins whenever the drive is closed. And then boot your games through USB. Because USB is where its at.

Honestly, I don't see the appeal of using my discs when I can just play backups of them. Its so much more convenient and faster

yeah, what he said... About the Gamecube thing.

Some people really like discs. There's still controversy about backups and there always will.

Let's say you have your game on your computer, then copy it to an SD. In some weird way, your already breaking the law with two backups, instead of one.

Secondly let's say you make portables. On the portable you make, the only way you can get games on it is to sideload ROMs. You teach your customer how to do this, and he goes and dumps every ROM file he can download on it, and somehow gets himself busted and says, hey. The guy I bought it from said its cool. Now you got a finger pointing at you, and its really not polite to point.

Plus the suits that point with him usually have well manicured nails, which makes you look down at your own solder burnt hands and feel a little embarrassed. Why!!!!!

Its really not that difficult. I just order playstation spindle hubs. Break off the table, and sand off the extra. The real trick is to sand off just enough that the bearings pull down the disc to seat on the Wii motors platform. If you set it too high it may wobble.

Take a dremel with a aggregate flare tip and basically drill it out. Just don't drill it way to big. The flare that comes in a dremel bit kit is the right size. For some motors you have to drill the spindle from the bottom with a bit large enough to slip over the lip on the motor. Press it on. Its easy. The hard part is remounting the table.

Back