the 04t-Sl-N64p worklog... yeah

wait... let me reword that... can i keep the stock heatsyncs that come with the system when i have the fan?

Depends on the revision. My friend's board barely gets hot at all (rev 3) When mine gets burning hot (rev 4 or 5). That, of course, is without heat sinks.

- mymixed

Well. About the stock heatsinks. The blocks that sit on top of the chips are not heatsinks. They are heat transfer blocks. The metal plate that goes across is the heatsink. So you may as well just take the sheet and cut it so that it fits around the capacitors, then just apply some thermal paste directly to the chips and the sheetsink.

hmm.... this may be a problem. if you use actual heatsyncs for the chips, do you apply them with hot glue? or thermal paste?

would these heatsyncs work for this? there arent dimensions but it seems small enough

ah... i discovered this in a conversation with my friend today. well... ill just have to buy some headsyncs and some thermal paste. i will assume the heat sync of the n64 attatch to the transfer blocks via screws... i might just trim it up and save some cash. because of its size, the heat sync (the large stock one) should not get hot enough so that if wires/other components (well i wont be placing lipos against it, ive read this is a very very very bad thing) would melt/get destroyed if next to it? i guess im more wondering about wires, or mabey the back of the ps0ne mobo were kinda near it (probsly not though)

Heatsinks aren't that expensive. http://cgi.ebay.com/RAM-VGA-RHS-03-Copp ... 2665wt_813

To apply them, you need to spread thermal paste across the top of the chip, then place the heatsink on top. You can hold them down any way. Running thin wires through the gaps in the heatsink and soldering them to ground on either side, hot gluing the sides of the heatsink to the board, etc. Get creative :p

i am... very very confused... the thermal paste doesn't keep the heat syncs on? then why is it called a paste?

Well, Tomato Paste isn't adhesive :D. There is, however, a type of thermal paste called Thermal Adhesive. This does keep your heat sinks stuck to your chips pretty well. The only problem with this is there is different quality thermal paste unlike thermal adhesive. The best kind is Arctic Silver 5. If you rather use thermal paste the thermal adhesive, Just Hot glue the side of the chip. BUT NOT ON THE CHIP. If you do that, It will melt, your heat sinks will fall off, and you'll wonder why your N64p is always crashing and one day it might not even turn on. Here's my board:

- mymixed

Does toothPASTE glue your teeth together? Think of thermal paste more like a heat transfer goo. It just assures you get full contact between the chip and heatsink. FYI you can simply dremel grooves in the stock "heat transfer blocks" and wha-lah!! You have yourself some FREE heatsinks that are the EXACT size you need. The wire suggestion is a great idea to hold them down I may have to try that. I have used high temp 5 minute epoxy in the past with good results. Small dabs on each corner does the trick. This way it still allows some air around and under the chip. Heck why do they even call them heatsinks anyway? Its not like you clean dishes in them. Why are buildings called buildings when they are already built? They should be called builts. Hmm now I feel like watching some Gallegher.

ahhhhh, thank you mixed!!! (*sorry this wasnt earlyier... ive had lots of holiday frenzy and trig stuffaroos) .......... but like bizarr said i might just make the stock head sync block smaller rather than go through all this thermal adhesive and heat sync blocks and such... well mabey ill decid differently when im not about to collapse... but anyway, thank you very much mymixed for all of your support/help, it is much needed and i thank you so much! :D

Anytime, portables are great! Can't wait to see your's finished! Are you vacuum forming or frankincasing?

- mymixed

yeah, im really liking it so far! ummm... i was planning on gettting something from polycase, ive looked around but ive got nothing good for a frankencase :\. i did get a bleepbloop cart for christmas today though :rofl: , and i might be able to get a steal of some dmgs that i wanted to backlight/ 1/4' prosound ......... depends how much much money i can scrape together from christmas partys if i can afford one and n64p parts... but heres the case i was looking at;;;;;

http://www.polycase.com/item/dc-96p.html

length and width are plenty big... 3' is prolly deep enough were i can fit enough stuff with ease and not have an uncomfortable reach for the shoulder buttons prolly right?

after reading xvgvs worklog... it seems that this screen would probly be a bit more affordable...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Mini-3-5-TFT-LCD-Car ... 563e56d196

it seems cheaper and not that poopy for how much money... but im a tad confused on how i would power it if it takes 12v and i would be using a 8v/7.4V (regulated down to 3.3v) power supply... :sweat:

otherwise i couldnt think of anything besides buying more lipos and getting a higher voltage from them or something... but that would make it cost more which would be counterintuitive..

so i might just be pooping around and ill just get a ps0ne screen like planned...

04tm34l3 said:
hmmmm....... alright. just wana make sure i have room for everything

You have plenty of room with the new case. The 96p is a lot bigger than the ZN-45. the 46p (or whichever one I linked you) is about the same size.

Back