the 04t-Sl-N64p worklog... yeah

also im wondering (ive developed this strange theory.. yet im not sure if its true theory... that you have to use flux to connect wires and stuff to the lipos) , im wondering if rosin core soder would be suitable for this being that rosin is a flux

The only way I have been able to solder to li-po's is by using flux. You probably don't have to, but I did. I didn't even think about the sanding part. Use flux if you want to be safe.

- mymixed

well for cells that are 20 a piece, ill play it safe. will ratshack flux do? also... all i know is flux is like a fat cylinder of sticky stuff that you put on two pieces before you soder, so would i just applie the flux to the cell's hot and ground and then soder wires to them?

If your li-pos have metal tabs that stick out made of copper or something similar then you can solder to them.

I however have never been successful in soldering directly to a battery.

I've tried sanding, flux, threats, it just doesn't work.

Those are the batteries I just wired up :D. I wound recommend liquid solder flux But I have also used the Ratshack stuff. Both should do. Just remember if your soldering iRon is on the tabs for more than four or five seconds, your flux is gone. At that point, wait for it to cool down and start over. Good luck!

- mymixed

alright thanks! ill be starting this project probably late december/early january. so ill post some pics when i do!

Tin the tabs first, then tin the stripped wire. Then just put the two together and apply the iron for a second. Tinning is where you heat up whatever you are going to solder together, and apply the solder beforehand. So here, you would heat up the tabs on the lipo for a few seconds, then apply solder to the tab. Then you would heat up the stripped wires and apply solder to them.

ToastBucket said:
Tin the tabs first, then tin the stripped wire. Then just put the two together and apply the iron for a second. Tinning is where you heat up whatever you are going to solder together, and apply the solder beforehand. So here, you would heat up the tabs on the lipo for a few seconds, then apply solder to the tab. Then you would heat up the stripped wires and apply solder to them.

ive actually been doing this method for most stuff for some time now... didnt know it was anything special :p

ALSO!!! what ohm resistor and what (well whatever capacitators are measuring in, farhems or something?) capacitator do i need for my 08000/08080 to regulate the 3.3V???? also regulators should regulate voltages of both 7.4v (from the lipos) and the 8V (from the wall woart) down to 3.3v correct??? also when im switching between the two voltage sources, it should work if i wire the toggle switch to switch between either of the hots rather than needing a double toggle switch to switch between the hot and the ground correct?? so i would run the ground from the the 08000/08080 (btw which model would be better for this) to both the lipos and to the connector for the wall woart, and then i would run the hot from the 08000/08080 to a two way toggle switch, and run each of the directions to either the lipos or the wall woart connector

For your regulator you need a 100µF (The µ means Micro and the F means Farads) capacitor that is greater than 7.4v (I would recommend 12v+ because if your capacitor is two low voltage it will explode). Common radio shack 100µF caps are 35v which is perfect, but they are a little fat. For the resistor you need a 1.8k - 2.2kΩ resistor. 2k Resistors are the best but least common. Using a 2k resistor will give you a slight under volt, but is actually perfect. If you cannot find a 2k resistor, just buy two 1K resistors and put them in series. This works perfectly. That being said, heres what you need.

(1) Ti Regulator.
(1) 100µF 35v Capacitor.
(2) 1K resistors.

May the tri-force be with you,

- mymixed

^
I like this guy. He's technically competent, willing to learn, and doesn't argue when people tell him he's wrong about stuff.

Plus, he helps noobs.

Keep up the good work! :p

MyMixed is my best friend. We both came in to the ModRetro world knowing each other, and bearing a lot of knowledge about electronics. But as we further continue our journey together, we will never stop learning.

-SonyQrio

^^^ Ahh, pure poetry...

I applaud both of you on your willingness to learn. It sure makes everything easier. Lol

PS. Don't take it too seriously when we rage about people not knowing stuff. XD

Basement_Modder said:
^
I like this guy. He's technically competent, willing to learn, and doesn't argue when people tell him he's wrong about stuff.

Plus, he helps noobs.

Keep up the good work! :p

totally on the noob helping part.

btw will i need new heat syncs if i put the video card fan in?

Back