TF2 won't go widescreen for me

J.D

No Stranger To Love
My new laptop has a widescreen monitor, and I've been enjoying playing Left 4 Dead 2 in awesome quality, and in widescreen. However, Team Fortress 2 won't go widescreen for me. I tried changing the settings, in-game, but it still won't go widescreen. I tried restarting the game, and even my laptop. WTF?

Epicelite, don't post unless you have something constructive to add.

EXPLAIN THE FREAKING PROBLEM.
"won't go widescreen" means nothing.

Can you change your Aspect Ratio within TF2? Yes/No
Can you change your Resolution within TF2? Yes/No

Okay, let me brighten this up.

The resolution will only change to like 1000 x 800 or something like that, and it won't go any higher.

And when I try to change the Aspect Ratio it will only redirect back to 4::3:.

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 graphics card.

And I have no clue what the driver version is.

Oh, you're playing Videogames on a Laptop.
Kill yourself.

AMD is pretty bad about their Mobility series, in regards to drivers at least.
The 4200 really is a poor performer anyway. (3300 costs less, is clocked faster and has more stream processors WTF)

Since you're on a LAPTOP, I recommend going to the Manufacturer's site, hittin' support and grabbin' their graphics drivers.
If you bought from Gateway, I recommend going to the UPS Store, putting your laptop in there, and sending it to me so that it may receive last rights before I burn it.

Download this: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/soft ... ct=4072690
Install it

I don't care if it says it's already installed, I don't care what it does, INSTALL IT.

Re-install TF2 as well.
Ya know, cuz I said so.

L4D, L4D2, etc, they're on a newer version of the Source Engine than TF2 currently is.
TF2 runs on the Orange Box revision, L4D and L4D2 are both running on the L4D revision.
So, there are differences.

Jlee, every source game I own doesn't have problems, except TF2. (I have Portal, Half Life 2, L4D2). I also tried to reinstall TF2, but I'm still having the same problems. It's because the maximum resolution TF2 will go into is 1024 x 768, and because of that the aspect ratio won't change.

And I'll update my driver. Oh, and nice 666th post btw.

I installed the driver, REINSTALLED TEAM FORTRESS 2, and I still have the same problems.

Why TF2 though? HL2, Portal, and L4D2 work just fine.

J.D said:
Why TF2 though? HL2, Portal, and L4D2 work just fine.
I ALREADY *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ING TOLD YOU IT'S DIFFERENT SOURCE ENGINE VERSIONS.

jleemero said:
L4D, L4D2, etc, they're on a newer version of the Source Engine than TF2 currently is.
TF2 runs on the Orange Box revision, L4D and L4D2 are both running on the L4D revision.
So, there are differences.

J.D, the graphics card in your lappy is horrible.
Laptops are bad for gaming.
It's quite likely the cause of your problems entirely.

jlee, first of all, chillax! No need to get up all up in his grill about it.

Also, I'm fairly sure Portal and TF2 share the same version of the Source engine. At least, I've never heard anything about them having two separate engine revisions.

J.D, are you running any kind of high FPS configs with TF2? There's a possibility those might cause you to not be able to adjust your aspect ratio. Also, though I'm unfamiliar with ATI software, check your graphics card settings and see if TF2 is a program that has specific settings listed for it. If so, see if there's anything limiting aspect ratio or display resolution.

Twilight Wolf said:
jlee, first of all, chillax! No need to get up all up in his grill about it.
It's J.D, he can only read caps.
It's why I can say bad things about him like this, he won't notice.

Twilight Wolf said:
Also, I'm fairly sure Portal and TF2 share the same version of the Source engine. At least, I've never heard anything about them having two separate engine revisions.
They "did".
Not anymore though.
TF2 originally ran on the Orange Box revision, like Portal, however, it has since branched out quite far from that end.

I ALREADY *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ING TOLD YOU IT'S DIFFERENT SOURCE ENGINE VERSIONS.
ALL THE GAMES IN THE ORANGE BOX RUN IN THE SAME ENGINE, JLEEMERO. Have you ever used the SDK?

They run in the same engine, but not the same revision of the engine. Either way, it's a moot point since you can run all your other games fine.

J.D, seriously, are you using any high-FPS configs for TF2? Those might be causing the problem if you are.

Well, do you remember downloading or copy/pasting one into Notepad? They're not preinstalled, so if you don't think you did, then probably not. Still, go to My Computer and navigate to C\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\[Your Steam ID]\Team Fortress 2\tf\cfg and look for a file called "Autoexec.cfg." If it's there, delete it. Then try your game again.

Alright, temporary fix for you I didn't want to do.

Open steam, right-click on TF2, go to Properties or whatever, Launch Options.
Add "-w whateveryourmonitorwidthis -h whatevertheheightis"
Like, "-w 1680 -h 1050"
Get the idea?

It should get the job done.

Back