Street Fighter 2 arcade bootleg m5 running on a CPS1

Drakon

Okay before I get into details let me explain what made this mod so darn complicated. The Street Fighter 2 M5 arcade hack is a brilliant hack, but this hack was only released on a bootleg pcb and it was never released on the capcom cps1 system which is what normal street fighter 2 ran on. The bootleg pcb hardware runs differently from a cps1 so it's AMAZING that this hack was even possible.

Since the M5 hack is brilliant so I decided to look into seeing just exactly how the rum dumps "tick".

hexwtf.jpg

The top hex is from the regular sf2 champion edition rom, the second / third hex boxes are from the m5 hack dumps

I did some web searching and wound up on this site:

http://www.darkfader.net/toolbox/

I downloaded the "interleave.zip" tool. It's a dos command based program so I wrote a batch file for it that takes files named 1, 2, and combines them back together in the regular interleaved pattern. Doing so made the hex look just like the champion edition rom dump

improvedhex.jpg

Then I split the file into the two 512 k separate files it needs. I split the roms at the proper spot and copied them into the sf2ce folder and it ran but unfortunately the sprite layer is flickering. The good news is that everything else works perfectly, audio is fine, controls are fine, even all the m5 hacks are running great even though the system is running it like it would be on a normal cps1. So I've managed to decrypt these roms on my own using tools I found on the net. I tested this M5 dump running as CE in multiple emulators and each emulator has the graphics flickering. I even did the same process on the m7 hack and got the same results, it ran but gave me flickering graphics in the emulator when loaded under the normal cps1 profile. Burning these cleaned up roms to eproms worked on my cps1 but the sprites rarely drew and when they appeared they were flickering. Also the controls weren't responding. I dug around in the cps1.c file from the mame source code and certainly enough the m5 bootleg pcb draws sprites in the opposite direction and has different controller inputs.

Since the champion edition rom dumps and the m5 cleaned up dump are very similar I tried copying data back and forth between the two rom sets and seeing what effect it would have. I did a LOT of trial and error and eventually found the programming that applies all the game hacks while keeping the cps1 compatible programming in tact. The M5 bootleg romset now runs 100% flawlessly on my official cps1 arcade pcb.

sf2m5.jpg

Here's the rom zip:

http://www.mediafire.com/?7tkputeihk775e2

If you rename this zip sf2ce.zip winkawaks will run it fine and I assume other cps1 emulators will run it too. To upgrade your champion edition, turbo, or rainbow edition to this m5 hack just burn the 21, 22 and 23 roms and it should run fine on your regular cps1 arcade pcb. The 21 rom is just the regular champion edition rom and the 22 / 23 roms are the hacked up m5 roms.

Here's the video to prove it truly works:

unicycler17 said:
I not quite sure what you did, but it seems really significant, complicated, and cool. Great job!

It is indeed complicated. Basically there's a lot of great bootleg arcade hacks of street fighter 2 champion edition out there. Unfortunately most of these sf2 hacks (including the one I used) were only released on custom bootleg pcbs which work differently from a regular capcom cps1 arcade board which is what street fighter 2 champion edition runs on. The bootleg roms were split in an interleaved format which was quite obvious when comparing these rom dumps in a hex editor to the champion edition rom dumps. After I recombined the rom dumps I noticed these were very similar to the champion edition roms in a hex editor meaning the code between champion edition and the hacks is mostly compatible. When running the hack roms on an emulator like it was a CPS1 there was flickering sprites and other issues like lack of controls working because the bootleg roms have been programmed to work on a bootleg pcb which is a different piece of hardware than a cps1. Since the champion edition and hack roms are semi compatible I copied and pasted random chunks of the rom files back and forth until I managed to get all the cool hacks from the m5 dump running on a rom that will run on a regular cps1 system.

Aha, that's clever with the interleaving.

Do you have any info on the bootleg CPS-1 hardware? I'm interested in how they reproduced the CPS-1's PPU.

On my floor nailed to the wall is an old CPS-1 Final Fight board. It seems to run fine, sound and game play speaking, but the red channel is missing, and every other column of one of the BG layers is missing and lots of graphics are missing as well. Any obvious hints?

Bibin said:
Aha, that's clever with the interleaving.

Do you have any info on the bootleg CPS-1 hardware? I'm interested in how they reproduced the CPS-1's PPU.

On my floor nailed to the wall is an old CPS-1 Final Fight board. It seems to run fine, sound and game play speaking, but the red channel is missing, and every other column of one of the BG layers is missing and lots of graphics are missing as well. Any obvious hints?

Hit the menu button and do a rom check? If the roms turn up okay then it's something on your pcb you'll have to probe around and check traces to see if anything's bridged or just plain dead. The bootleg cps1 pcb has little known information because it's not official. These boards were made by Hung Hsi Enterprise Taiwan. People commonly refer to these bootlegs as "chinese bootlegs" but taiwan is completely different from china except for maybe their main language. All of the unofficial hacks / bootlegs of sf2 seem to be made by the same company. I can confirm that this is indeed the company that made these since poking around the text areas of the rom data I actually found a piece of text that says "Hung Hsi Enterprise TAIWAN" which is never displayed in the game.

Regarding the bootleg hardware the ONLY information I could find about it was reading the source code that emulators use to run it. I took at look at cps1.c that mame uses and found the code that the bootlegs use. According to the comments in the cps1.c file the hacks that were released on these bootleg pcbs draw the sprites in the opposite direction of the cps1 system. This would explain why I was getting flickering sprites with my initial tests. Also according to the cps1.c file the controller inputs are different on the bootleg board which explains why I didn't get controller response at first. Really that's the only info I could find.

Looking at a picture of a bootleg pcb:

Street_Fighter_II--_Magic_Delta_Turbo_-_1992_-_Bootleg.jpg

I'm going to guess that the square shaped chip near the middle is the ppu. I know a guy who owns a bootleg pcb I'll ask him what it says on the chip.

Other than the sprites being drawn in the wrong direction and the controller inputs being different these bootleg pcbs seem to be 100% cps1 compatible which is very cool. From my memories of playing the bootleg boards as a kid they ran identically to the legit sf2 champion edition arcade machines.

*edit* found some other pics of bootleg sf2 boards...

arcade_pcb_sf2.jpg

I have no clue which chip would be the ppu on this. You'd probably have to get one of these bootleg boards into the hands of someone who really knows their hardware to figure this stuff out.

Weird. I may have an opportunity to get one such board so I'll check it out if I can.

I used to have some of those bootleg boards, running SFIICE and other CPS1 games.
I'm sure I still have at least ONE of them (running SF2CE).
As soon as possible I'll take some pictures with more details.

I'm NOT an expert in electronics, but as far as I can remember the board has a BIG motorola processor (MC 68.000). I believe it's the one with the "sf2 stick" (in the last posted photo).

If you guys need more info on the board, please let me know and I'll try to check....

BR

I love the M5 hack too, I want to do this but the mediafire link is down. Could you reupload the ROMs if you still have them?

Hi everyone,

Noob here... Just picked up a machine, looks to be pretty original from the outside but is running one of the rainbow editions... I'd like to just have a regular Championship Edition game... Is there an easy way to do this without replacing parts or boards?

Sorry if this is somewhere else already but I'm completely new here.

Thanks,
John

Back