Candytop - New and Improved Bartop MAME Cab

XCVG

ModRetro Legend
Recently, I upgraded Candytop. I was going to post in the original Candytop finished thread, but apparently I never made one.

Candytop is a bartop MAME cab loosely styled after a Japanese candy cab that me and my dad built in 2010. Yeah, I thought it wasn't that long ago, but apparently it was. The original PC was an Athlon XP machine that was old even when it was built. I've been meaning to upgrade this machine at least enough to play Street Fighter IV for years and I finally had the hardware and the motivation to do it.

28hosxd.jpg

This is what the insides looked like before. Note the awful cable management and terrible old PC. Move along please.

2ikwad2.jpg

This is what it looks like now. It's a 3GHz Core 2 Duo E8400 in the motherboard that used to be in my server. 8GB of RAM because I had it and a GeForce GT 720 that I actually paid $60 or so for. Not a great deal but you can see a better used card wouldn't fit- and it would probably blow the flaxty-in-2010 power supply, too. The SSD is an old Crucial m4 and it's pretty small at 120GB but the motherboard is only SATA2 and there's not much on it anyway. Also note the wifi dongle which is now internal, something which I probably should have thought of in 2010.

10zaahk.jpg

I also redid the back with new fans. The asymmetry is deliberate and we didn't have any matched pairs of fans laying around. The big TriCool is set on medium. Just though you'd like to know.

4qljpk.jpg

The software was a total Sega to deal with. It's all-new, Windows 7 and Kodi frontend. Kodi may be a nice girl in some ways but she makes a flaxty arcade frontend. It looks good but it's a nightmare to set up. Don't do it. The ROM library is the same and it's just as limited as before, but there are a few new PC games installed on it, including...

xmplyf.jpg

The whole *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing reason for doing this. This is the first time I've played it and it's pretty good.

You can read more about the whole thing in the old thread or on my website. (those are links for people using the default theme which is poorly designed and doesn't show them well)

EDIT: Oh, I also finally labeled the upper buttons so you know which one adds a coin and which one quits the game. Not a terribly important distinction, I know.

One would wonder why you would want external controls, but to each his own.

Emulators.... it has Windows 7, a decent processor, and decent amount of ram. I wouldn't see why not, especially since it's made for arcade games like Street Fighter IV.

Fluxedo said:
That's really cool. Can it play emulators and such and use external controls?

It's mostly emulators, actually- MAME for arcade and WinKawaks (does anyone know of something that sucks less?) for Neo Geo. It also has NES, SNES, Genesis, Game Boy, N64, and Dreamcast emulation. The older consoles are better- the controls don't really work well for N64 and Dreamcast. It has three external USB ports but I've never plugged in a controller.

Back