Sam's PCp

Re: Several things: USB game controllers, tinyXP

There's Microcon PC controllers on the madcatz website for like $19.99.

really? searching their site reveals nothing of the sort. and I'll be sure to check gamestop.

thats the PC con anyway. its not Micro. I want micro. size matters.

EDIT:
My screen is slotted for delivery tomorrow. PC within the week. So hopefully soon I'll have some real (ish) progress.

What I cant get though, is a MicroCON. They exist, but I cant find a single one inside the united states. Theres some in Australia, and several in Hong Kong, but they are from stores that service Asia, and dont ship international, without shipping wallet rape. So if anyone knows of any other small usb PC controllers with dual analog, and 8 buttons + dpad, lemme know.

Another thing, Ive bottomed out my budget here, So people should buy my crap so I can get this built.

My screen showed up today.

All I can say is, "OH MY GOD THIS IS THE BEST (small) SCREEN I HAVE EVER SEEN!!"

It truly is the best. It has stunning quality. The picture quality is better on composite input than any (small) screen Ive ever seen, and it only increases when I use VGA. I played SOTC on it for about an hour, via composite, and it was epic. Then I jacked into my laptop, and played videos ranging from native resolution (800x480) up to 1080Pi, and every one of them looked amazing. (I was letting the screen do the scaling, and running the videos on my laptop in their native resolutions.)

The touchscreen works very very well, although it does have a bit of an edge effect, its nothing that renders it unusable. (on XP, at 1024x768, I can still use tray icons pretty well. At 800x600, its easy. Im not able to test XP on native resolution, as the laptop I was using is 4::3:, and doesnt support anything but 800x600 and 1024x768)

The built in speakers are VERY LOUD, but great quality audio. Sadly, they are mono, and only work with AV input, nothing for VGA. Ima do some more testing, and hopefully get it working.

All in all, a very good deal. A $140 screen that performs like a $1000 screen.

Pics tomorrow.

HOLY CRAP MAKO, I left this topic and there was a new post already! :dahroll:

Anyway, this thing is going to be awesome! I can't wait to see it finished! ::3:

samjc3 said:
It truly is the best. It has stunning quality. The picture quality is better on composite input than any (small) screen Ive ever seen, and it only increases when I use VGA. I played SOTC on it for about an hour, via composite, and it was epic. Then I jacked into my laptop, and played videos ranging from native resolution (800x480) up to 1080Pi, and every one of them looked amazing. (I was letting the screen do the scaling, and running the videos on my laptop in their native resolutions.).
samjc3 said:
Then I jacked into my laptop, and played videos ranging from native resolution (800x480) up to 1080Pi
samjc3 said:

ಠ_ಠ

Is it 1080i, or 1080p?

am confoos

That quibble aside, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on this!

stare.png

Its 1080 pixels. by some other number. twas a bluray rip backup, mmkay?

I ran into an odd issue this evening, though. I hooked up the screen to my desktop, hoping to play ME2 on it, and see how good it looks. However, when I hooked up my screen (DVI-VGA converter) my video was very pink. The quality was great like always, but the colour was off. I though it might be the DVI port on my 9500 GTx, so I hooked it to my other desktop, which has straight VGA out. (nvidia 6800se) No change. Still all pink.

Yet, on both laptops I tested, its fine. Correct colour and everything. Its possible its the difference between Windows 7 and XP, but, somehow, I doubt that. I guess we will see what happens when my box shows up.

Links and pics later. gotta run right now.

IMG_2218.JPG

One downside to this screen: Its not very photogenic. The touch/antiglare layer works great, but it murders cameras. I'll try for more beauty shots when I get off school.

Heres the links:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170477770415
http://www.short-circuit.com/product/VM70.html

Needless to say, I figured out the colour issue. just a bent pin in the VGA plug. fixed it and alls good.
Still havent got audio on VGA, but I havent opened the case yet either.

And ME2 looks amazing, great for on the go. I just couldnt get any good pictures. I'll try later.

XCVG said:
:awesome:

I'm watching this thread fo'sho. Any idea what the case is going to be like?

Please don't say "fo'sho" in anyway, it reminds me too much of Bo, who has been missing for some quite time now..

:cry4: :cry4: :cry4: :cry4: :cry4: :cry4:

Joeyjoe9876 said:
Please don't say "fo'sho" in anyway, it reminds me too much of Bo, who has been missing for some quite time now..

Now he can't *Can'tSayThisOnTV* over and scam JD and the rest of ModRetro! :awesome:
Fixed.

IMG_2228.JPG

thats what the front of the screen looks like. From left to right, Headphone jack, power, input switch, menu, volume up and down.
IMG_2229.JPG

Simply showing what settings I have it running at.
IMG_2238.JPG

IMG_2244.JPG

IMG_2253.JPG

IMG_2261.JPG

IMG_2259.JPG

thats at 1050x1680^
This one is at 750x480:
IMG_2262.JPG

This is what happens when you try to take a picture of a biotic charge:
IMG_2272.JPG

IMG_2273.JPG

And, saving best for last: