Rumble motor near a hard drive is bad, right?

Kyosho

NOT KYO
Just want to confirm this. I mean, motors work via electromagnetism so I assume they could screw up a hard drive. Then again, are there not motors within the hard drive that spin the plates? So...yeah. I don't know. If it would be a bad thing, could I get away with the rumble motor on the opposite side of the portable? Assuming it's a fairly standard large-ish portable? Or would it still be too close?

I know I could use a solid state drive, or even a SD card with an adapter thing, but as far as disk space vs. price, a regular hard drive is best in this case. For me.

Sonova... why didn't that cross my mind at all? I know from firsthand experience how much movement can screw up a hard drive when it's in use. Durrrrr. I always seem to come at these things from the wrong direction. Thanks dude.

Considering there are really powerful magnets right next to the platter, and the fact that the hard drives are enclosed in steel cases, a small motor probably won't do any harm. Keep it a couple inches away anyway to reduce vibration.

Back