Reversed Engineered Component Cable

That's impressive, and hopefully can come in handy for some people. I wouldn't have any idea how to implement it but I'm sure plenty of people do.

there is a catch:

this device offers a great 480p resolution but has shown to have some difficulties displaying on a few TVs tested thus far....there is just no way to know if it will be fully compatible with "your" TV until you build one and test it out...

also there is an HDMI version which is only a DVI over HDMI communication, so this means there is no digital audio. Some TVs will accept accept DVI signal over HDMI so this is not a problem but what does become a problem is some TVs lack analog audio input to mux in with the video...in other words, you will be playing in silence unless you connect GC to a stereo or a speakerbar or similar...

as for portable monitors, i would not even want to speculate on the success rate for connectivity since so many monitors out there have a hard enough time trying to display video from the MX chip itself.....

good luck to whoever attempts this and be sure to post any test results

megalomaniac said:
there is a catch:

this device offers a great 480p resolution but has shown to have some difficulties displaying on a few TVs tested thus far....there is just no way to know if it will be fully compatible with "your" TV until you build one and test it out...

also there is an HDMI version which is only a DVI over HDMI communication, so this means there is no digital audio. Some TVs will accept accept DVI signal over HDMI so this is not a problem but what does become a problem is some TVs lack analog audio input to mux in with the video...in other words, you will be playing in silence unless you connect GC to a stereo or a speakerbar or similar...

as for portable monitors, i would not even want to speculate on the success rate for connectivity since so many monitors out there have a hard enough time trying to display video from the MX chip itself.....

does it offer a vga connection possibility?

Ps:still haven’t got the wasp working :(

megalomaniac said:
there is a catch:

Oh what a shame, I thought that the testing results showed to have a high success rate on most LCDs and TVs.

just so there is no confusion....
there are two versions of this design...

1: component output / vga output
2: dvi over hdmi

component output would have the most chance for success. I have tested this on component CRT, component monitor, component digitalTV. All tested great.

VGA monitors should also have the same success. I think loctronics tested VGA performance and gave it a thumbs up.

DVI over HDMI is where all the problems can occur. since HDMI requires very specific input resolutions, a TV will have problems handling some of the nonstandard resolutions of GC titles. The device does convert some of these blank pixels into black to fill in the deadspace to allow for the creation of a standard resolution size but testing shows still some issues with TVs. Monitors might not care but TVs do.

Also, for anyone interested in 240p/288p for GBA, this might not be compatible with certain TVs..
right now its hit and miss until more testing can be performed.

Ah thats great to hear, i'll see if i can try to make one of these boards to test out myself

I wish Unseen could make a quick step by step toturial just telling us what parts to get and how to write the code to the chip.

A GCp with a VGA screen would be so ducking sweet :o

I've been thinking about making one of these for a few months to use it in my portable GC. I will definitely post my results here, should I decide to actually build one. :lol:

@SpecialHam
A parts list is on github, and there are explantions on how to program the chip somewhere in the thread. If you have experience soldering small components, it shouldn't be very hard to build.

C4RB0 said:
I've been thinking about making one of these for a few months to use it in my portable GC. I will definitely post my results here, should I decide to actually build one. :lol:

Yeah I think you should it will really broaden the amount of TV's
the GCVideo 0.9v lite can work on

Ampz said:
C4RB0 said:

Yeah I think you should it will really broaden the amount of TV's
the GCVideo 0.9v lite can work on
The thread you posted in your main post is down. Why?

Back