RetroN5

Zero said:
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/09/12/all-in-one-retrogaming-console-retron-5-now-available-for-pre-or/

Anyone hear about this?

Haven't done much research on it yet, but assuming this is all hardware based and not just emulation using real carts, I think it could be pretty cool. Thoughts? (besides that horrible controller)

With the features such as save-states, I'm gonna venture to guess it's an emulator that uses carts.

Kickback said:
If this is emulation, I don't see the point in real carts at all
Maybe it makes use of the extra processing on the carts like SuperFX and the like.

Yeah, looks like it is emulation. Apparently runs on an ARM processor. I mean, it's still neat but it's disappointing to hear it's not a hardware-based clone. They do claim 100% compatibility, but I'm not quite sure how that's possible.

Here is a picture that's not a render:

4pCLR.jpg

If it's just emulation, I can get an Ouya or an Android TV unit that does basically the same thing for the same price, except then I don't have to bother with carts. Your mileage may vary, of course- I used to like having the real deal, real hardware with real controllers and real cartridges (clones sort of count), but now I have less time and less money so pragmatism wins out. Even my retro-gaming setup is redundant because I can emulate basically everything pre-Dreamcast on my XBOX vanilla (because we can't call it the XBOX 1 anymore). I do understand there's a certain feel associated with actual cartridges, and my response to that is it depends how well this thing works.

Also, I like how that LED light bulb's heatsink looks like part of the fixture.

If they let you extract and write saves to the carts it might be worth it. I think the device that lets you do that on PC ends up being over $100 for just 2-3 systems iirc.

It's probably a cheap tablet without the screen wired up to just enough circuitry to detect what a game is and a very large USB drive with all the ROMs on it. Also some chunks of metal super secret Chinese technology so you think there's stuff in it.

:p

Back