Quick N64 portable questions

Hey everyone. Just have 2 quick questions about the N64 portable I'm making.

I'm currently using servo wire for ALL connections. I believe servo wire is 24AWG(?)
My batteries are: 7.5v 2.2Amp
Is servo wire okay for use as my power wire?
If not, what should I use, and where can I get it?

I would like to buy another identical 7.4v 2.2amp battery to extend the life of my portable.
I bought a kit. The canon BP-911. It comes with a battery, and a charger.
The batteries are Lithium Ion and they come including a BPC.

I want to wire these in parallel for 4.4amps, Do I need to remove them from the BPC and wire the batteries parallel with ONE BPC or should I wire them parallel with BOTH BPC's?

Thanks

1. Probably but I'd get some thicker wire. 24 would be cutting it close.
2. You probably would want to use 1 of the PCBs and wire the extra batteries in parallel to the existing ones. This is just a guess though because I have no idea how the circuit in the ones you're using works.

Feel free to simply make a worklog thread for your portable. No point in flooding the forum with multiple questions.

Fluxedo said:
2. You probably would want to use 1 of the PCBs and wire the extra batteries in parallel to the existing ones. This is just a guess though because I have no idea how the circuit in the ones you're using works.

This may work short term but i would really recommend that you either use both chargers separately or get a balancer such that the charges would even out. For instance, one of the batteries could have less power that the other. If you would charge them together, I can imagine 2 things happening. 1.) Not obtaining a full charge, 2.) You end up overcharging your batteries. The latter could cause dangerous repercussions.

Feel free to simply make a worklog thread for your portable. No point in flooding the forum with multiple questions.

Ill do this tomorrow, I'm exhausted from work and school all day I hope you understand. I appreciate the suggestion. Thank you also for taking your time to answer all my questions.

i would really recommend that you either use both chargers separately or get a balancer such that the charges would even out. For instance, one of the batteries could have less power that the other.

Thanks for this nugget. Can you answer my followup?

You say it's a bad idea because they might have different power. What if they are the exact same battery? 7.5v 2.2amps.. same brand.. model etc. Wouldn't one of the battery protection circuits protect both of the batteries? Since they should be the exact same voltage after all, just more amps.

And if you still think this is a bad idea, then by all means I will take your recommendation and look into this balancer that you mentioned

that's what I had in mind as well. If the batteries are the exact same ratings, brand, etc I imagine it would work with the extra batteries attatched. Any clue the size/shape of the batteries so we can get a better idea what you're talking about?

kevin12331 said:
You say it's a bad idea because they might have different power. What if they are the exact same battery? 7.5v 2.2amps.. same brand.. model etc. Wouldn't one of the battery protection circuits protect both of the batteries? Since they should be the exact same voltage after all, just more amps.

I meant if simply if one of the batteries is more charged than the other, regardless if they are identical. As for your follow-up, wire them in parallel with both.

Back