Battery question

Sinnoh

Hi, I'm Sinnoh. I am developing a PlayStation 2 Portable, and I would like to talk about the issue of batteries. My PS2 is the model SCPH-90010, that one that has the internal psu, and that has the un-trimmeable motherboard

First I want to clarify some things about voltage.

-PS2: 8.5v
-Monitor: 5v (Previously 12v, but modified with the 5v mod)
-Audio Amp: 5v

How many batteries would you recommend? Which protection circuit would you recommend and what kind of charging method would you recommend?

I already know how the batteries work and I plan to use the 18650. Thanks.

Hi there, I would recommend Hunting down a SCPH- 7900x model if you can. Not saying it's not possible to do it with a SCPH-9000x but you will not be able to get a square board due to the controller/memory sticking out. Also the 7900x is the model which is the most documented so it's easier to find info online.

Battery wise you have multiple was to approach it, you could make a 14v battery pack with 4 18650 cells and use 2 step downs, one for the PS2 and a second for the 5v. Or you could make a 8.4v battery pack with more capacity if you don't need to disc drive. The PS2 can run as low as 5.6v without it and you would need 1 step down to 5v for the screen and amp.

Keep in mind that you will need a protective circuit board (PCB) for you battery pack to avoid any issues and a smart charger with the correct voltage to charge it.

Hi, thanks for responding,

Before everything i'm going to use the scph-90010 anyways, cause i have a low budget. Anyways thanks for the tip.

I'm going to use a pack of three 18650 batteries forming 11.1v altogether. I will use two step downs, one for the monitor that works at 5V same as the PAM8403, and another one for the PS2. As I do not have the possibility to buy in battery space, I will charge the batteries with a homemade external charger, and see if I can implement it with the console.

For the homemade charger I will use a version of the TP4056 module that acts in the same way as a smart charger, and that will allow me to charge the 11.1v pack by removing the batteries and putting them in the homemade charger, connecting it to a 5V miniUSB.

It should be noted that instead of a PCB will use a BMS, and also clarified that the BMS and TP4056 have the same effect as if recharged with a smart charger, as the TP4056 declines the voltage when the batteries are about to be filled.

Well, I would like to contact you by PM to show you a graphic I made (based on your PIS2 design, hehe), if it does not bother you, tell me what you think!

Thanks bro!

Back