public-pervert's first portable - The Laser64!

public-pervert

hello everyone!
I'm feeling pretty good about having finally finished this project, which lasted a long time, and gave me much work. I fried two n64 mobos and a controller board before the finish, but here it is!
I would like to share with you some pics :thumb:

Some Specs:

7' screen
Built in expansion pak
First party controller
Game cube analog stick
An ATMEGA8 for the A/D conversion
Game cube C stick
Custom made A,B and Start butons
Double Z butons from GC controller
R and L butons from first party controller
6000 mah Li-Ion batteries
av out
controller 2 port (jack)
Low battery indicator (the blue led turns red when the battery is low)
An LM2576 for the 3v3 line
40mm fan

Dimensions:
224mm x 115mm x 34mm (56mm counting the fan box)
the first plan was a 29mm thick but i need to add 5mm in the end, cause the back side was not closing..

enjoy! :cool:

front view:
img0376j.jpg

By publiccpervert at 2011-07-14

Mario!!
img0378cg.jpg

again! haha
img0380g.jpg

Perfect Dark
img0381q.jpg

backside view
img0382f.jpg

top view
img0383ns.jpg

underside view
img0384ax.jpg

another front view
img0385zs.jpg

TWINE
img0387fs.jpg

i wanna make a video to show you it works, as soon as possible... i hope you like it! please comment!

Thank You!!

EDIT: you can see the complete worklog here: http://moddedbybacteria.freeforums.org/ ... -t584.html

That looks great! Very clean cut. Doesnt seem to me like the fan would be needed though.

thank you guys!

@samjc3 the fan is basically for the regulator.. you can fry your finger if you touch him hahhaha so i put a decent heatsink on them and positioned under the fan.. so the air divides by the reg's heatsink and the n64 heatsink :awesome:

that looks like you put a lot of love into it. Looks really well-done and clean.

I do have to ask (not a criticism, just a question), was there a reason you didn't relocate the cart-slot so its top-loaded?

I like it, very clean, very smooth. It's also mostly screen, which I also like. The fan may not have been needed, but since the cartridge is sticking out the back past the fan it doesn't really matter.

Good job, and welcome to ModRetro.

You my friend have created some huge n64 awesomeness!! That screen is crazy!! Good job on your first portable.

Probably a 3rd party controller with a set of first party buttons.

EDIT:
I never congratulated you on your portable. Great work man. The case is a slick piece of work. How long did that alone take you?

@grossaffe, I actually don't like toploaders. As long as the cartridge doesn't get in the way of holding it, I think it looks better.

thank you so much for all the comments guys :D

the top loaded cart don't hinder in my opinion, and i don't need to worry about the system gets super hot..

@Atari this project tooks me about a year hahhah had lot of problems, import some pieces, and stoped for a long while.. but this is finally done :pirate:

@3MZ yes, really used a first party controller AND a Gamecube analog stick, thats why i mentioned the A/D conversion by an ATMEGA8 :awesome:

you can see the ATMEGA positioned on the top right of the portable:
img0370wp.jpg

EDIT: and here you can see the first party controller board at center right, between the screen capacitors..
img0366lf.jpg

By publiccpervert at 2011-07-06

Back