PS3 size, cost, etc?

snowpenguin

Frequent Poster
So, I've wanted to build a PS2 laptop for awhile, and I've wanted to buy a PS3 for awhile, so why not do a backwards compatible PS3 laptop and kill two birds?

So, I've scoured the web, but for the life of me I can't find the motherboard sizes on the phat PS3.

I also have a question that's probably been asked before, but how much does a CNC'd laptop case usually cost for Ben or anyone else?

Okay, you will need a backwards compatible PS3. With all the newer models Sony dropped the PS2 GPU and claimed some BS about it being too difficult to emulate, probably to sell more PS2s. So you will need a specific version. I hope you already know this, if not it's described better here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStatio ... comparison

Motherboard sizes? Huge. Plan on a 15" or 17" widescreen.

Case? Expensive.

Yes, I understand fully that I'll need a certain model, I'll be getting a 20 GB probably. I'm trying to find all teh hardware of a PS3 but no case on eBay so I can get it cheap, but I mostly see motherboards.

I'd like to find the exact size of the motherboard so I can plan better. I figured I'd be using a 17".

snowpenguin said:
I'll be getting a 20 GB probably.

If you're going to build a PS3 laptop, you absolutely have to have wifi...the 20gb doesn't have this, so I suggest you go for the 60gb. And yes, this thing will prolly be huge, and from what I've heard PS2 games look much better on an actual PS2 than on a backwards compatible PS3. It would probably be cheaper and more convenient to buy a PS2 and a PS3 slim (or used 80gb phat PS3) and make one into a laptop and keep the other one as a home console.
(Besides, phat PS2 + IDE hard drive + HD Loader = :awesome: )

Zero said:
snowpenguin said:
I'll be getting a 20 GB probably.
And yes, this thing will prolly be huge, and from what I've heard PS2 games look much better on an actual PS2 than on a backwards compatible PS3.

That's not what I have found. On my 1080p projector at 185" the PS3 with HDMI with the PS2 enhancements turned on looks WAYYYY better than a PS2 with component cables attached to the same projector.

hailrazer said:
That's not what I have found. On my 1080p projector at 185" the PS3 with HDMI with the PS2 enhancements turned on looks WAYYYY better than a PS2 with component cables attached to the same projector.

Yea, I was going by a couple of articles I read a while back and this video. But after doing some research, it turns out Sony fixed the problem in a firmware update. I have one of the models with no PS2 backwards compatibility though, so either way I have to keep my old PS2. :confused:

Back