Protect battery from original GC-power supply with a diode?

SpecialHam

Hi guys.

I'm finishing up my GCp and i'm currently wirinig the original GC power supply connection to the case.

I'm going to use one connection for the charging and one for the original CG power supply so I can play it on socket power.

My question is, how did you guys prevent the charging circuit and the gamecube power supply from making a connection?
I dont want 12V DC 4A on my protection circuit.

i was thinking of using a diode between the positive connections.

Is that the optimal solution or do you guys have other suggestions to solve this problem?

Re: Protect battery from original GC-power supply with a dio

SpecialHam said:
Hi guys.

I'm finishing up my GCp and i'm currently wirinig the original GC power supply connection to the case.

I'm going to use one connection for the charging and one for the original CG power supply so I can play it on socket power.

My question is, how did you guys prevent the charging circuit and the gamecube power supply from making a connection?
I dont want 12V DC 4A on my protection circuit.

i was thinking of using a diode between the positive connections.

Is that the optimal solution or do you guys have other suggestions to solve this problem?

I dont want to charge my battery with the GC power supply if ye guys get it ;)

The only way I know how to do it is use two DPDT power switches or one DP3T power switch. It's wired so that when you have the GC power cable plugged in, the batteries are completely isolated from everything but the charger.

Hmm but a Diode will also do the trick right?

I don't see a reason not to use it except for an added 1.7W of energy usage.

I would use the DPDT switch method. That way you have two seperate circuits and won't risk blowing up the battery because the diode method doesn't work as expected.

yah okay then.

I installed a n64 power button but I guess I'll have to remove it :/

Isn't the N64 power switch a DPDT switch? If so, you just have to wire it up correctly.

C4RB0 said:
Isn't the N64 power switch a DPDT switch? If so, you just have to wire it up correctly.
I was about to try to correct that but I realized it'll work with one DPDT switch if it's always on.
If you don't like to have it always on, you can utilize the two switches so that one is a power switch to the system and the other switches between the two sources.

Blargaman91 said:
C4RB0 said:
I was about to try to correct that but I realized it'll work with one DPDT switch if it's always on.
If you don't like to have it always on, you can utilize the two switches so that one is a power switch to the system and the other switches between the two sources.

Yah that could work. If the GC adapter is connected, it will turn itself on automatically.

By doing that the N64 switch could connect/ disconnect to the battery :D

Back