Onlive... Will consoles die?

This is rather disturbing:
According to Hideo Kojima, the PlayStation 4 and the Xbox 720 aren't the future of how people will play videogames.

At a news conference held for Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, series visionary Hideo Kojima talked about what he thinks the future of gaming will be, and how it probably won't include consoles. He thinks that cloud computing will become the norm, where the same videogame experiences can go from device to device no matter where players are.

"In the near future, we'll have games that don't depend on any platform," he said. "Gamers should be able to take the experience with them in their living rooms, on the go, when they travel -- wherever they are and whenever they want to play. It should be the same software and the same experience."

What Kojima describes is the experience that technologies like OnLive aim to bring. Theoretically, they would allow AAA videogames to be streamed to anything from a television to an iPhone and therefore free from specific console restrictions.

At the same conference, Sony Computer Entertainment Japan President Hiroshi Kawano told reporters: "It's a bold prediction. We hope he continues to develop for platforms, but we deeply respect his sense of taking on a challenge." Apparently, this was said with a nervous smile.

Kojima also said the development of Peace Walker for the PSP, coming to Japan at the end of April and other territories in June, was an experiment to find out what would work for portable gaming in the future he envisions. "I looked at this in part as an experiment aimed at the future," Kojima revealed. It sounds like he's really putting his faith in services like OnLive. With the massive popularity of current generation consoles, I don't think Kojima's prediction will come true anytime soon, but who knows right?
For those of you who do not know what Onlive is:

Obviously, the release date moved, no it is set for June 17.
More info here.
What do you guys think?

Buy a n64 and don't worry about new video games!

(but this sucks for fanboys!)

I'm not sure what to think of this. It may be a good idea, but I think even if it does push through and work, it will not become the norm. Specific companys want money and will continue to make company specific consoles.

i doubt it will work. and i hope it doesn't. more than one video game console = competition = better games and system for consumer.

Consoles will live because that's something you get to own. I think the best use of the onlive system would be to sell the license to the program so people can connect to their desktops through their netbooks or something like that.

One can only hope, that he is right. I hope at least, imagine no debate between which system is better, I'm signing up for onlive as we speak.

Unless you have a really good internet connection, cloud computing lags too much for gaming. I like having my programs run right here, thank you very much. I'd rather pay for a device I own and can screw around with than some server hundreds or even thousands of kilometers away.

You have to pay full price for any games you want to play along with the $15/mo service charge, stop paying $15/mo and lose all games.

So basically, its flax.

That.

Also, I did have an interest in this, but that was before I built my gaming desktop. Now that I can play probably all the games it'll offer maxed out, it's rather pointless to me now.

I am in the beta for OnLive, testing supposedly starts in the next three weeks.

I am a MASSIVE skeptic of OnLive... But if this is gonna work for anyone, it would be me. I have a fiber optic connection that clocks in at 29mbps down, 16mbps up, ping of 3 to the nearest server on speedtest.net. Plus, there is an OnLive farm about 40 miles from here, so... Well, I will let you guys know how it is. If it has problems for me, then no way is it ready for the average consumer.

^
lol!

but no, I doubt this will kill off consoles. The gaming giants like nintendo and Microsoft are still going to want to make money and they are going to continue to make more games specific to their consoles.

actually, none of this matters since I believe the current canon is that judgement day hits in 2011

Plays PC games, so I assume it has USB ports for a standard plug n' play mouse and keyboard.

EDIT: Yup.

Wikipedia said:
The MicroConsole supports up to four wireless controllers and four Bluetooth headsets. It also has two USB ports for keyboards and mouse.[18]

Back